phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
aleha

Re: phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

Post by aleha »

I've been watching this list since summer, and it grows and shrinks all the time, i.e., at some point it had 4 blockers.
I don't think it's an indication for a release date for A1, but if you see critical stuff getting patched you may get a hint I suppose.
One thing is for sure, it's active enough :)

aleha

Post by aleha »

Sorry for the double post but I wanna ask about hooking attachments.
Specifically being able to alter their names, maybe through a form of options provided to a user. Yes, sometimes users are lazy or maybe you want to enforce a certain pattern for naming files.
I found this event req: [RFC] attached_file hook but I don't see how it could help.

Is there an event req for hooking attachments (can't find any) or can it be done the way things are now?

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

My guess would be that event should be able to modify the name, I'm not sure if that event exists in current code though.

aleha

Re: Testing phpBB 3.1

Post by aleha »

EXreaction, I haven't find anything by having a look at latest:
https://bamboo.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3- ... ease-Files
But wouldn't this be doable by an event for a new/edit post provided by viewtopic.php?

I have another question :oops: . There is a mod for 3.0.x that enables moderation queue only for starting a new topic, i.e. after the topic is created the replies don't need to get approved by a moderator. The permissions for 3.1-dev(bamboo) so far follow the same rules as in 3.0.x for that matter. There is no RFC for this functionality and since we are on a feature freeze, even if I open an RFC which could get accepted, it would be for 3.2, right?

SectionIXV wrote:
Oleg wrote:Testing phpBB 3.1

How to test a particular feature in 3.1:

1. Go to the list of RFCs in this topic, pick a feature you want to test. "Patch in progress" features are incomplete, and the following instructions apply to them. To test "Merged" features, download the current 3.1 snapshot as described in the post directly above.

2. Follow the link to the RFC topic.

3. Determine the location of the latest patch. This is done by scanning posts backwards from the most recent post looking for things like "work in progress is: <github url>". In case of timezone topic this is the post.

Since this scanning can be tedious I will be gradually updating the first posts of RFCs with the current patch links, and I have done so for the timezone RFC. However for the time being you might have to look through a few posts to determine what code should be tested.

4. Follow the link to current patch on github.

5. Click on "Source" link in top left corner. It should be already highlighted, click it again.

6. You should now see "Downloads" link on top right where "develop <-> feature/new-tz-handling" was previously. Click there.

7. Under "Download source", download the tree as either a zip file or a tar.gz file depending on your operating system. Make note of "branch: feature/new-tz-handling" - this should match the RFC you are trying to test.

8. Use the downloaded package to perform a clean install or an update of an existing board.

9. Test and post results in the RFC topic.
Hi Oleg, I want to try this one out. Is this still applicable today? Or are there any new guides I can follow through? Thanks! I am a newbie :P
I second that. I would like to test Arty's changes for a reponsive prosilver (these changes are not in the bamboo releases). Could someone please write the steps we should follow? Or point us to an appropriate doc/tutorial, I would have no problem with that :)

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

To test any third party branch you can do one of the following:

1. Get it via Git:
  • Add author's repository:

Code: Select all

git remote add cyberalien https://github.com/cyberalien/phpbb3.git
  • Fetch that via

git fetch cyberalien
    that will fetch only that repository or

git remote update
    that will fetch all your repositories
  • Check out that branch:

git checkout cyberalien/ticket/11552
    where "cyberalien" is remote name, followed by / and followed by branch name
2. Download it from GitHub:

https://github.com/cyberalien/phpbb3/archive/ticket/11552.zip
where "cyberalien" is author's name, "ticket/11552" is branch name

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

New features are really not going to go into 3.1 anymore, they will go into 3.2.

NORDLANDVOLK

Post by NORDLANDVOLK »

EXreaction wrote:New features are really not going to go into 3.1 anymore, they will go into 3.2.
You mean 3.1.1?
or you talk about Arsia?
Cos if you talk about Arsia that will be in next 10 or 15 years lol
sorry for my bad english :oops:

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Whatever the case it will not go into the 3.1 line. It would go into 3.2 or 4.0 or whatever the next version will be called.

Ger

Post by Ger »

Not trying to nitpick, but:
imkingdavid wrote:I just commented on the Migrations Pull Request saying that I will merge it on Monday (assuming my schedule permits doing so) barring any new objections that are not addressed by then. After that, there are still two related Pull Requests that must be tested and merged before we can consider the whole migrations feature to be merged. Following that will be a two week window during which current Pull Requests can be adapted to use migrations instead of the old method of including database update instructions. Once that two weeks is up, 3.1 can enter the Alpha stage. Any new features that are not ready for a merge by then will be held back to 3.2.
That's 8 months ago. I'm not sure what PR's imkingdavid is referring to, but are those two merged yet? What exactly is holding the ALPHA back? In the first page of this topic it's said that migrations are completely merged.

Reason I ask this is that I quoted the above in our Dutch translators forum as a heads-up, expecting the ALPHA quite soon. Maybe I misinterpreted imkingdavid's post, but it reads like he expected ALPHA soon as well.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Mess

Post by Mess »

Status 30-09-2013
Blockers:

3 Open:
PHPBB3-11772
PHPBB3-11764
PHPBB3-11288

4 Patch Awaiting Review:
PHPBB3-11871
PHPBB3-11850