phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: phpBB 3.1 Information and Status

Post by MichaelC »

It does but for it to be worth the amount of development time and the significance of extensions the overall view was it would need extensions.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello,
I think the extensions/RFC is not very successfully. I think a free features discussion without any code is needed.
Also I think Area51 has been a top secret for too much time. I like the new way of partially transparency. But I think it comes a little bit too late.
And then we have noticed that simple forums are not a good basis for the features discussion. ... see the posts above.
Please try to complete phpBB 3.x with most of missing core features. And then re-design it for phpBB4.
Please move from passive product management to active product management. Use the MOD DB to speed up Ascraeus developement.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

drathbun

Post by drathbun »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Also I think Area51 has been a top secret for too much time.
What does that mean? area51 was public years ago, before even the release of phpBB3. But maybe you meant something different... :?
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello,
okay, "top secret" is a little bit heavy. ;)

But for a long time there was no information on http://www.phpbb.com where to post feature requests and so on. I think it has been changed about one or two years ago.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

There's been a big link labeled "Area 51 Development Board" on the community ever since I have used phpBB!
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

callumacrae wrote:There's been a big link labeled "Area 51 Development Board" on the community ever since I have used phpBB!
Actually thats recent but it has been under the development sub-menu and community sub-menu for a long time.

Plus there have been numerous blog articles/announcements about it.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

XTF wrote:
Oleg wrote:
XTF wrote: What's stopping you from changing the 3.1 release strategy to your better release strategy?
The consensus of the development team was that releasing 3.1 without extensions was not worth the effort.

It would be nice if all developers prioritized getting extensions finished above other work, but so far such a thing has not happened.
Does 3.1 contain no worthwhile improvements over 3.0 besides the extensions support?
No but it's a huge goal for phpBB.
Installing MODs can be a real pain. You can mess up the code easily.
With extensions, everything is made much easier for forum admins and things are made a bit easier for (ex-MOD) extension writers.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello,
as I posted under viewtopic.php?p=240463#p240463 .
If the extensions manager is able to install a compatible version of Advanced Double Activation Pack then it's usefull. If not then it's not an alternative for MODs and AutoMOD.

Bye Martin

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Hello,
as I posted under viewtopic.php?p=240463#p240463 .
If the extensions manager is able to install a compatible version of Advanced Double Activation Pack then it's usefull. If not then it's not an alternative for MODs and AutoMOD.

Bye Martin
Whether or not your MOD can be ported to an extension will depend pretty much entirely on whether or not the required event locations are present. Please do a code audit of your MOD to see if you will be able to inject the required code in where needed with the current events that will be been added in this pull request: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/838
If not, please figure out what new events will be needed and request them or implement them yourself with a pull request.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello imkingdavid,
at the moment I'm finishing a new MOD: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2156113 . Then I want to force and finish developement of my largest project: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1736385 .
Several weeks ago I wrote Nils a PM about these things. I made him a trusting offer on the direct and personal way. I got no answer by now. Please contact him. These will be my last statement about these things here.
If dev team doesn't want to tell me which features would be added to the (Ascraeus or) Arsia core or if the are not able to make a usefull public preselection for the Arsia features then I will not start any coding for extensions or patches. At the moment I don't have any skills for it, too. And the both projects I told above 1st will be usefull for the Olympus using community soon and 2nd will be very usefull for the people visiting and using my websites. Since more than eight years I want to do the second project. In these years I've done enough for the phpBB community reducing my personal priorities for some years.
I hope you understand my satement and my personal priorities a little bit.

I think you can have a look to the install.xml of Advanced Double Activation Pack to answer my question about Extensions Manager, too. ;) I have no own experience with these things.

Bye Martin