Topic disapproval leaves no traces

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Topic disapproval leaves no traces

Post by Marshalrusty »

Currently, disapproving a topic leaves no traces of the text and therefore no way to quality control moderator decisions. If a user contacts an administrator with a complaint, it becomes difficult to investigate. This also means that the user cannot repost if no copy of the text was saved.

Some possible solutions:
1) Include the post contents in the notification email. This allows the user to tamper with the content when filing a complaint, of course.
2) Improve the robustness of the logging system so that it is capable of handling such things
3) Augment the draft feature so disapproved posts are demoted to drafts rather than simply being deleted.

canonknipser

Re: Topic disapproval leaves no traces

Post by canonknipser »

Maybe the "softdelete" feature for posts can be used for this, so the posts stay in the database, but invisible to the public.
For that, a "softdeleted" value on topic-table (topic_approved = -1) in addition to the discussed value in posts-table can be used for dis-approved topics
Greetings
Frank
phpbb.de support team member - no support via PM or mail
English is not my native language
Extensions and scripts for phpBB

phynixx

Post by phynixx »

canonknipser wrote:Maybe the "softdelete" feature for posts can be used for this, so the posts stay in the database, but invisible to the public.
For that, a "softdeleted" value on topic-table (topic_approved = -1) in addition to the discussed value in posts-table can be used for dis-approved topics
It'd be good to have a "who deleted it" and a "why" section (read: probably separate table with linked keys) where the "why" can be made mandatory or not (depending on admin preferences).

canonknipser

Post by canonknipser »

"Who" and "why" can be placed in the log like similar actions
Greetings
Frank

phynixx

Post by phynixx »

canonknipser wrote:"Who" and "why" can be placed in the log like similar actions
I was thinking that too but (w/o really knowing the phpbb topic post db) I figured records of actions on the topic probably aren't appropriate fields to have in the same table as the one that holds the posts themselves since 99% of posts won't have any action done on them.

That's all really up to the DBA though so the *how* probably doesn't really matter so much as the *what* (at least to me) which is just that it gets recorded.

canonknipser

Post by canonknipser »

Disapproving is logged, but currently you can never find the original post (or even the topic, if it is the first post in the topic ) because the post and also the topic (only on first post) will be hard deleted from the database.
In the moderators log, you can give a reason for disapproval, and you'll have a link to forum (if topic = first post in topic disapproved) and topic (only if it was not the first post).
So, for soft delete, there must be another link showing the post which will still be there, but only visible for users with special rights.

Soft delete RFC in 3.1
Greetings
Frank

Jaftica

Post by Jaftica »

I hope I am not hijacking here.

What I do is simple but it works for me. I copy and paste the post into the box that comes up that will be sent to the user (if you check the box). I normally uncheck. This way, I have the post or at least a portion of it in the moderator logs.

Sorry again if I'm butting in.

phynixx

Post by phynixx »

canonknipser wrote:Disapproving is logged, but currently you can never find the original post (or even the topic, if it is the first post in the topic ) because the post and also the topic (only on first post) will be hard deleted from the database.
In the moderators log, you can give a reason for disapproval, and you'll have a link to forum (if topic = first post in topic disapproved) and topic (only if it was not the first post).
So, for soft delete, there must be another link showing the post which will still be there, but only visible for users with special rights.

Soft delete RFC in 3.1
Ah yes. Nvmnd you're right.

Well anyways +1 for using soft delete to solve this.