usefull HTTP blacklists to prevent forum spam are (in order of efficiency):
- Stop Forum Spam
For me one bad point for some phpBB integrations in past is that MOD authors just have used a third-party class or something like this. They used the phpBB integration like a bridge to the third-party class.
But the APIs are very easy and it's possible to make a integration only with phpBB default code and coding.
Project Honey Pot aka http:BL is a IP-RBL DNS blacklist which is using non-standard DNS blacklist requests with a own API. So it's also a candidate for a HTTP blacklist plug-in system.
phpBB3 Olympus and blacklists history:
- Dec 2007 - Olympus has a poor IP-RBL DNS blacklist integration by default - a Domain-RBL DNS blacklist integration is included but remarked and not finished
- Sep 2008 - integration of HTTP blacklist(s) is available - http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/anti_spam_acp/
- Dec 2008 - another Akismet integration is available - http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1340275
- Jan 2009 - StopForumSpam and BoutScout integration http://startrekguide.com/community/view ... 128#p95128 - http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1402805
- April 2009 - a plug-in system for IP-RBL DNS blacklists including other anti-spam features in later releases is available - http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/a ... block_mod/
- 2010/2011 - most of visual CAPTCHas have been cracked or hacked - Q&A CAPTCHA have to do it now.
- Feb 2011 - developement for another Akismet integration has been started - http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2122495
- Mar 2011 - another Akismet integration is available - http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2125159
- Jul 2011 - partially StopForumSpam integration - http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/one_click_ban/
- May 2012 - plug-in systems for IP-RBL DNS, Domain-RBL DNS and HTTP blacklists are available - http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/a ... /faq/f_614
- Jun 2012 - a Akismet plug-in has been released on Area51 - viewtopic.php?f=81&t=41581&p=241257#p241211
- Jun 2012 - phpBB devs are saying on Area51 that they are thinking about the integration of HTTP blacklists to the core
Please don't integrate it just for something like a quarantine. Use it to block (or to prevent) spam(, too).
Do you really want that your moderators have to check hundreds/thousands of spam guest postings or spam user registrations per day?
Think about adding something like a weight system. So if you want spam will be blocked if it is found on at least two blacklists.
Add a feature to recheck posts and user accounts for spam. Add it to the related ACP and MCP pages. Also integrate this check into Who Is Online for analysis.