"Official" integration with Akismet

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
KnocksX

Re: "Official" integration with Akismet

Post by KnocksX »

EXreaction wrote:No, it does not.
It asked me for one and still sends me an account statement with $1 due every billing period. You don't have to pay it, but they nag you about it.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

When you sign up they ask for you to pay them something. If you give them something it's your choice, but you do not have to (for non-commercial purposes).

KnocksX

Post by KnocksX »

No, I just explained what happened. They did not let me proceed without a credit card number, even though the total was zero. I gave them a throwaway account number, but every month I get an email statement now. At least this is how they do it now.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

https://akismet.com/signup/#free

Dragging the thing to zero hides the payment section - you don't need to enter a credit card number unless you're paying.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

KnocksX

Post by KnocksX »

That didn't work for me 2 months ago, but I suppose it could have been a Chrome bug. I have no objections otherwise.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

That was surrely your problem, Akismet is really for free without any sensitive information required during the registration (email at most)...

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I'll ask again. What does it matter if they charge for their service or not? I presume that phpBB would be writing an interface to the service, not distributing the Akismet code base.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

EXreaction already implemented Akismet into phpBB. It would just require creating ticket, PR and merging. Little of code development.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I am strongly against any core integration of Stop Forum Spam, it has flagged far too many genuine users and posts on the boards I manage for my liking.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

callumacrae wrote:I am strongly against any core integration of Stop Forum Spam, it has flagged far too many genuine users and posts on the boards I manage for my liking.
If that was in response to my post, I might not have been clear enough. I was suggesting that blacklists be configurable (presumably via plugins) so that users could choose which, if any, they wanted. The two built-in blacklists would actually be moved out of the core into official plug-ins (similar to how phpBB handles CAPTCHA plug-ins).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.