"Official" integration with Akismet

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: "Official" integration with Akismet

Post by Senky »

callumacrae responded to my link. I did not mean using whole MOD, just Akismet integration.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Pony99CA wrote:
callumacrae wrote:I am strongly against any core integration of Stop Forum Spam, it has flagged far too many genuine users and posts on the boards I manage for my liking.
If that was in response to my post, I might not have been clear enough. I was suggesting that blacklists be configurable (presumably via plugins) so that users could choose which, if any, they wanted. The two built-in blacklists would actually be moved out of the core into official plug-ins (similar to how phpBB handles CAPTCHA plug-ins).

Steve
Nope, it was in response to Senky's.

I do think that phpBB should have something built in by default. Sure, build a plugin system, but package a plugin (preferably Akismet) by default. I've heard numerous complaints that phpBB is easy to spam, and "oh but you can change some settings" isn't really that valid an argument.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Pony99CA wrote:I'll ask again. What does it matter if they charge for their service or not? I presume that phpBB would be writing an interface to the service, not distributing the Akismet code base.

Steve
If they are a paid for service we wouldn't want to be including such a thing in the core as it would be promoting their services to thousands of forum owners. The interface to drop any plugin would be there for those that want to create it or add it.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Senky wrote:EXreaction already implemented Akismet into phpBB. It would just require creating ticket, PR and merging. Little of code development.
There is actually a mod I created that only does Akismet integration:
http://lithiumstudios.org/forum/viewtop ... =31&t=1976

I might also note that it does a much more complete job of implimenting Akismet than in the Anti-Spam ACP modification.

Stevefree

Post by Stevefree »

EXreaction wrote:
Senky wrote:EXreaction already implemented Akismet into phpBB. It would just require creating ticket, PR and merging. Little of code development.
There is actually a mod I created that only does Akismet integration:
http://lithiumstudios.org/forum/viewtop ... =31&t=1976

I might also note that it does a much more complete job of implimenting Akismet than in the Anti-Spam ACP modification.
I just installed your plugin and I'm playing with it. Is there an Admin Panel for it? I can't find one in the ACP. Looking for stats or mail that is caught etc...

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

This is a discussion on the integration with akisment. If you need assistance with the MOD you downloaded, you need to seek support from where you obtained it.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

So what is the status of this?

I have been looking at akismet singup plans, and it looks like it is free only for blogs, while other, non-personal, sites are asked to use Pro version, which is payed. Maybe someone competent could contact them asking about boards? Or maybe try to make a deal with them, so that they will alter their pricing policy and incude phpBB boards to free plan when phpBB will ship Akismet with the core product? It is advantageous deal for both sides, IMO, because phpBB users are used to report posts, which would greatly improve thier detection database.

Ger

Post by Ger »

Askimet states:
Free for personal use
That's right. Our goal is to eliminate web spam from as many sites as possible. So don't hesitate to grab a free API key for your personal blog.

Commercial Use
While we've made Akismet free for as many people as possible, we still need to keep the lights on and the servers humming. If you are using Akismet on a commercial site we have commercial API keys available just for you.
Also:
Paid account perks
- Priority over free accounts
- Faster & more reliable
So this gives us 2 problems:
  1. phpBB can be freely used for both commercial and personal use. With default Askimet integration, phpBB can't be offered freely anymore for every user.
  2. When using the free accounts, they're less reliable and probably slower.
Simply asking them to make it free for board users probably won't work, since there are millions of boards online with tons of spam attacks. They have to add a whole lot of server capacity to cope with all of those calls. They have to get something in return for that.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

So... All we can do is almost the same as what's done for ReCaptcha...
Prepare phpBB for it, but not include a ready-to-use in it.

Ger

Post by Ger »

Come to think about it: Wordpress does it the exact same way. It comes shipped with the Askimet plugin, but that's deactivated by default. You must register for an API key, activate the plugin and put the API key in for configuration.
I guess phpBB can handle this the same way.

Still, I think phpBB needs to give them a heads-up when this gets in the core, so they can prepare for the large amount of calls to their servers.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.