"Official" integration with Akismet

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
sooskriszta

"Official" integration with Akismet

Post by sooskriszta »

Akismet seems to be doing a decent job of fighting spam, and we should use all the tools in our toolkit to minimize/control this problem.

So an official integration with Akismet where
1. when users are activated, they are tested against Akismet database beforehand
2. Admin can report users to Akismet by checking a checkbox while deleting or banning users
OC2PS
Testfestés, Arcfestés, Csillámfestés

Alapanyagok, Képzések, Ismertetők
Hennafestés
GMAT coaching and MBA Admissions Consulting
formerly known as sooskriszta

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: "Official" integration with Akismet

Post by callumacrae »

I started work on a modification to do this (the existing mods only check for spam, and can't report), but I think that this should be left as a mod (or perhaps an extension that comes with phpBB)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

sooskriszta

Post by sooskriszta »

Perhaps it should be a mod, but it should ship with phpbb...the same way many of the captcha functions ship with it...

I think Akismet's utility would increase greatly when tens of thousands of phpbb installations are reporting spammers to Akismet...so that function is no less critical for the community as a whole.
OC2PS

Hennafestés

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello,
at the moment I'm thinking about adding Akismet to Advanced Block MOD. At the moment on my development board I have StopForumSpam added both for blocking and reporting. It's great! :) The demo blok log: http://www.martin-truckenbrodt.com/cgi/ ... m_logs.php

It's possible very easily to make a Plugin System for IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists. All of these blacklists can been used the same way.
For HTTP requests using blacklists it's more difficult. Different HTTP blacklists are using different APIs. But I found a way to build a plugin system for them, too. :)

Reporting is very important! The aim has to be to report spam as soon as possible. This is the only one chance to make a really successfully spammer kick-off. The spammers customers are notifying that there is any spam post and any spam user account on our boards then they will not pay for these special ecommerce companies.

Other point or BTW my persoanl experience of 2.5 years: phpBB developers don't like blacklists. They are trusting in the myths about blacklists. So it have to be a MOD in future again.

Bye Martin
Last edited by MartinTruckenbrodt on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

On a related note, I visited a board yesterday that was using Stopforumspam and I was made aware of this by the blocking page I received. :roll: I was on a public hotspot in an area that would not see heavy usage, much less serious spam. I'm guessing the offending party was somewhere that was sharing the same IP as the hotspot. Obviously false positives are still a bit of a problem with blacklists, though I don't know exactly how SFS builds their spam IP list.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Hello,
at the moment I'm thinking about adding Askimet to Advanced Blcok MOD. At the moment on my development board I have StopForumSpam both for blocking and reporting. It's great! :) The demo blok log: http://www.martin-truckenbrodt.com/cgi/ ... m_logs.php

It's possible very easily to make a Plugin System for IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists. All of these blacklists can been used the same way.
For HTTP requests using balcklists it's more difficult. HTTP blacklista are using different APIs. But I found a way to build a plugin system for them. :)

Reporting is very important! The aim has to be to report spam as soon as possible. This is the only one chance to make a really successfully spammer kick-off. The spammers customers are notifying that there is any spam post and any spam user account on our boards then they will not pay for these special ecommerce companies.

Other point or BTW my persoanl experience of 2.5 years: phpBB developers don't like blacklists. They are trsuting in the myths about blacklists. So it have to be a MOD in future again.

Bye Martin
I've been testing your Advanced Block MOD, and it's for every 10 users that register, I get an email saying that someone was blocked.

+1 @ Akismet. I've implemented the first half (checking) in a mod of mine, but I haven't really added the ability to report yet.
My blog

sooskriszta

Post by sooskriszta »

callumacrae wrote:+1 @ Akismet.
+1
callumacrae wrote:I've implemented the first half (checking) in a mod of mine, but I haven't really added the ability to report yet.
Bated breath, etc.
OC2PS

Hennafestés

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

sooskriszta wrote:
callumacrae wrote:I've implemented the first half (checking) in a mod of mine, but I haven't really added the ability to report yet.
Bated breath, etc.
Haha, I last worked on it about six months ago, I haven't had time to do anything xD
My blog

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello David,
SFS e.g. gives you the frequency value back which tells you how often ip, username and email are reported to SFS. In your application you can use this value to reduce false positives. Also e.g. you can say only block posts or user registrations if ip and email are listed. I have prepared my implematation to use the frequency. But at the moment I've set the value to one. I haven't gotten any false positive with SFS by now. But I don't block only for username.
SFS is a good database. But SFS doesn't offer the applications which can been used to use SFS. BTW: It's the same thing like it is with IP-RBL DNS blacklists. ... And BTW II: Other anti-spam features are producing false positives, too. ...

Please excuse my bad English! ;)

@callum: Why you haven't gave me any feedback? When did you test ABM? Which version of ABM have you tested? Please answer per PM not to be too much off-topic here.

BTW: Double request for Akismet: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=35022

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello,
if you want to try Akismet, Stop Forum Spam, BotScout and Project Honey Pot to prevent spam on your phpBB3 Olympus board then you can try Advanced Block MOD 1.1.0 which I have finished and released today.
I'm interested in every feedback!

Bye Martin