BBCode Admin Permissions

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
atifali

BBCode Admin Permissions

Post by atifali »

I want to Request to add Special Permissions for the usage of BBCode for Site Admin and Members.

For Example:
I want to enable [URL] BBCode tag and automatic/magic URLs for Site Admin and disable for Members but if I disallowed the [URL] BBCode tag and automatic/magic URLs then it is disabled for everyone even for Site Admin as well.
I hope you understand what I wanted to request and you shall add my request.

/a3

Re: BBCode Admin Permissions

Post by /a3 »

What happens if a normal user quotes an admin with a certain BBCode?

My personal opinion is that phpBB is a bulletin board; a medium for communication between a (possibly large) group of people. Features such as this aren't relevant to this and hence should be left as MODs, not in the core of phpBB.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

atifali

Post by atifali »

/a3 wrote:What happens if a normal user quotes an admin with a certain BBCode?

My personal opinion is that phpBB is a bulletin board; a medium for communication between a (possibly large) group of people. Features such as this aren't relevant to this and hence should be left as MODs, not in the core of phpBB.
You didn't get my point. What I wanted to say that there should be some additional special permissions for Site Admin than Members. I have already looked for MODs but found nothing. By the way, adding MODs is really irritating specially when you have many MODs installed and after adding MODs if there is an upgrade available of phpbb then we need to do the same process again. So, these special permissions should be added by phpbb.

That's a nice question "What happens if a normal user quotes an admin with a certain BBCode?" but there may be any possibility like if user quotes admin with [URL] Tag then [URL] Tag could convert into Anchor Text only? I don't know whether it is possible or not but I suggested it because I felt that it is necessary option.

/a3

Post by /a3 »

atifali wrote:You didn't get my point. What I wanted to say that there should be some additional special permissions for Site Admin than Members. I have already looked for MODs but found nothing.
How does this improve communication? Features like this are rather... trivial, and useless in my opinion. Is there any reason why you would want BBCodes to be admin/moderator-only?
atifali wrote:By the way, adding MODs is really irritating specially when you have many MODs installed and after adding MODs if there is an upgrade available of phpbb then we need to do the same process again. So, these special permissions should be added by phpbb.
That could be an used as a reason to add anything (and everything) to phpBB, and isn't a valid point.

By the way, phpBB 3.1 will be adding hooks to hopefully make things easier for MOD developers. AutoMOD and the updating process have been greatly improved, and so the likelihood of having conflicts during updates is getting smaller. Hopefully features won't be added in phpBB 3.1 (as in phpBB 3.0 things tend to... break over time) so this won't be a problem.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

atifali

Post by atifali »

/a3 wrote:Is there any reason why you would want BBCodes to be admin/moderator-only?
I want to restrict members to use few BBCodes, speically [URL] Tag because they use it mostly for spam and link to illegal content which can make few problems for me and there are few several reasons for which I requested those permissions. May be such permissions are useless for others, if so, then its ok. I will try to find any other way to solve my problem.

/a3

Post by /a3 »

For spam problems, I highly recommend you read this page: Preventing Spam in phpBB3.

The Q&A CAPTCHA is especially effective, but mainly for unique questions, not common questions like "What colour is the sky?".
$ git commit -m "YOLO"