Adding "View new topics".

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Ivan Petre Paul

Adding "View new topics".

Post by Ivan Petre Paul » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi everybody, I have an ideea :) I don't know if it was written by others before.

To add:
"View new topics" link/option:
  • on click will display a page where we can find all new topics that have been written from the user's last visit
To change:
"View new posts" option:
  • on click will display a page that contains only the new posts, not new topics
What do you think about my ideea? :)

Ivan Petre Paul
Romanian phpBB user

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: Adding "View new topics".

Post by callumacrae » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:49 am

"View unread posts" and "View new posts" do almost exactly what you describe.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Ivan Petre Paul

Post by Ivan Petre Paul » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:28 am

callumacrae wrote:"View unread posts" and "View new posts" do almost exactly what you describe.
I said:
Ivan Petre Paul wrote:Clicking "View new posts" will display a page that contains only the new posts, not new topics
In this moment, "View new posts" displays new and unread topics and posts. As the name says, should contain only the new posts.
posts = messages in the topics
topics = new discussion subjects

"View unread posts" also displays the unread posts which weren't read by the user in previous sessions.

It's a difference!

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:34 pm

You do realize that creating a new topic is the same as creating a new post right? I don't see the value in excluding new topics when looking at new posts. What would be the use case?

Ivan Petre Paul

Post by Ivan Petre Paul » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:21 pm

DavidIQ wrote:You do realize that creating a new topic is the same as creating a new post right?
I think "new topic" means "new discussion subject" while "new post" means "new opinion in a subject". You don't see the difference?
DavidIQ wrote:I don't see the value in excluding new topics when looking at new posts.
Because it's POSTS not TOPICS?
DavidIQ wrote:What would be the use case?
I already said that before: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=41263#p228119.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:44 pm

That is not a use case :roll:
And I still don't see the usefulness of looking at new posts and excluding from that new posts that are also new topics...

Oleg

Post by Oleg » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:50 pm

I can see the reasoning behind "view new topics".
DavidIQ wrote:You do realize that creating a new topic is the same as creating a new post right? I don't see the value in excluding new topics when looking at new posts. What would be the use case?
It's the other way around, excluding new posts in old topics when looking for new activity.

My concern would be UI - we already have a few links pertaining to searching for new/unread topics/posts and adding more would clutter that area even more.

For "view new posts", if it's topics that I replied to I just use egosearch. Viewing new posts in old topics across the entire board would not be very useful I would think. I do frequently want to wait a bit before replying to e.g. support topics, so I bookmark them but then never get back to them. Maybe "view new posts in bookmarked topics" or something like that would be useful.

Ger

Post by Ger » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Oleg wrote:My concern would be UI - we already have a few links pertaining to searching for new/unread topics/posts and adding more would clutter that area even more.
To prevent this, a simply style change could be made. All those links can go in a CSS dropdown box called "Quick search..." or something similar. Hovering over that box will expand it, showing all the links for quick search to new/unread/own/... topics.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.