phpBB 4 - APIs

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Peppy

phpBB 4 - APIs

Post by Peppy »

I think the phpBB should have some of these APIs (I didn't read all topics in this forum, so excuse me for double posting):
  • Social API - Facebook/Twitter/Digg...
  • Dev API - yes, it is implemented now, but I think it should be much better implemented and also add something like installer of mods (yes, I know, it already exists, but it needs to work on/rewrite...)
  • User API - User's information handling with other systems like Wordpress, Joomla (through plug-in/mod)
  • Data Sharing API - phpBB forum shares data with verified website around the world
  • "Red Alert" API (or Interface) - phpBB rescue mode (backups) - if something went wrong, one link in your administration email should have to use backup system files...
  • AJAX API - Web 2.0
What do you think??

Sierron

Re: phpBB 4 - APIs

Post by Sierron »

Peppy wrote:Social API - Facebook/Twitter/Digg...
God, no.
Peppy wrote:"Red Alert" API (or Interface) - phpBB rescue mode (backups) - if something went wrong, one link in your administration email should have to use backup system files...
So if someone gets your e-mail-address he could simply restore a backup without any approval that he really is an admin.
Peppy wrote:AJAX API - Web 2.0
Explain.
Peppy wrote:Dev API - yes, it is implemented now, but I think it should be much better implemented and also add something like installer of mods (yes, I know, it already exists, but it needs to work on/rewrite...)
Why does it need a rewrite. Explain please.

Peppy

Post by Peppy »

1. Why not? It can be disabled.
2. No, after instalation you get an email, where this info should be stored, and also it should have verification by password.
3. Interactive applications/mods & better UI,ACP or any other panel, or some other useful things. For example: Nette framework, has implmented AJAX interface to work with dynamically changing datas...Also could be able to disable...
4. It is just my feeling...

aelitahopper

Post by aelitahopper »

Peppy wrote:I think the phpBB should have some of these APIs (I didn't read all topics in this forum, so excuse me for double posting):
Social API - Facebook/Twitter/Digg...
these apis as mentioned elsehwere on this forum change too often for it to be integrated into the core of phpbb, but perhaps an api that makes such plugins to more easily develop
Peppy wrote: Dev API - yes, it is implemented now, but I think it should be much better implemented and also add something like installer of mods (yes, I know, it already exists, but it needs to work on/rewrite...)
mod installers would be nice, however a hook based s ystem would imho be even better, then the 'installer' would be simply to make any necessary alterations to the database to support the mod, and the mod would be just a file that follows a specific naming convention with functions that follow a strict naming convention with pre-set parameters being passed to them, THAT would be my idea of a dev API.
Peppy wrote: User API - User's information handling with other systems like Wordpress, Joomla (through plug-in/mod)
i think bb3 has this to some extent, i have seen a phpbb3/drupal integration package that uses the phpbb3 api
Peppy wrote: Data Sharing API - phpBB forum shares data with verified website around the world
perhaps, but then again i think this is already at least partially implemented in 3
Peppy wrote: "Red Alert" API (or Interface) - phpBB rescue mode (backups) - if something went wrong, one link in your administration email should have to use backup system files...
AJAX API - Web 2.0[/list]
not sure what that is, but imho ftp/shell access to create tarballs/mysql dumps or even a cron job that does that would probably be simpler in the long run, that and the files don't really change that often compared to the database which shouldn't be too difficult to dump/restore if need be

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Our current plan is to make use of the composer package management tool (code at https://github.com/naderman/composer). The customisation db would be changed to provide a package repository interface for this tool (it's a simple JSON/HTTP based protocol).

aelitahopper

Post by aelitahopper »

Peppy wrote:1. Why not? It can be disabled.
2. No, after instalation you get an email, where this info should be stored, and also it should have verification by password.
3. Interactive applications/mods & better UI,ACP or any other panel, or some other useful things. For example: Nette framework, has implmented AJAX interface to work with dynamically changing datas...Also could be able to disable...
4. It is just my feeling...
why not? for multiple reasons, too many APIs provide too many security holes that have to be monitored and patched and potentially degrade the performance/stability of the software

second, social networks come and go, and their APIs change from time to time so hard coding against a moving target into the core of the software would be stupid, the whole point of a good API/hooking system is to avoid having to change the core code, something i feel the where PHPBB falls short because there are so many hacks/mods out there that involve modifying core code

no it would be better to have a good central system of hooks that can be than used to more easily create modules/plugins to perform these tasks.