Improving phpBB performance for small installations

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Re: Improving phpBB performance for small installations

Post by bantu »

TerryE wrote:So for example unconditional includes brought in by 'common.php' comprise roughly 75% of the PHP code needed to execute a typical function. The rest is the request-specific stuff, such as the top-level module and request-specific functions / objects, the language files, the template files and the authentication module. So there is nothing to stop you building a compact composite of these unconditional includes, moving common.php to _save_common.php, say, and then replace the original file with the composite. This way, no coding changes are require at all. You just need to remember to rerun the composite utility if you make any changes to the core source code. Easy.
compactor.zip
I've include the compactor utility on this post. One slight optimisation that I have done (since I had to parse the source files anyway) is to remove all comment and trim whitespace. This drops the 15,264 lines (440Kb) of PHP source in 13 files down to 10,713 lines (300Kb) of PHP source in one file. Trimming the size probably doesn't prorate the compile overhead, but the collapsing of the file operations from 13 to 1 file does yield performance benefits. There is little point in doing this if your installation uses APC, Xcache or whatever, but there are definite savings if not -- that is the entire installation-base using a shared hosting servce.
As far as I currently understand, the "compactor approach" would only work when there is no opcode cache. It would however not work when there is an opcode cache because it would be trashing the opcode cache.

TerryE

Post by TerryE »

I think to say that "it doesn't work with an opcode cache" is a little strong. +1 on there's absolutely no point in doing this if you have an opcode cache installed, but as the compactor would only need to be rerun after code updates which is a pretty rare occurrence. The main problem is that you'll end up having multiple copies of the same opcode sequences in the cache, and therefore might start a cache churn which would kill performance.

Incidentally, I've been burnt be all sorts of gremlins after I change the basic forum settings or put in any patches, so I've learnt that the safest thing to do is to purge the cache and do an Apache restart after such changes. This is a lot more frequent occurrence than the need to recompact.

TerryE

Post by TerryE »

Perhaps one of the key reasons for my slightly different perspective on this issue of performance is that my IT background wasn't one of classic applications development, but more one of modelling, real-time and systems development moving in more general systems engineering. From a systems engineering perspective you try to understand the architecture and performance of the application in macroscopic terms and try to understand the key parameters from this perspective. I have now got a very sound grasp of these macro characteristics of phpBB and what I am now trying to grapple with is how to make these accessible to the development team as a set of simple guidelines.
  • phpBB is a relatively simple application from an algorithmic perspective. There is no complex processing for the common web-requests; more the presentation of formatted database content. A typical request involves perhaps executing 40K lines of PHP code, and given that the opcode interpreter can execute ~20M opcodes per second, this is only 5-10 mSec of runtime.
  • On the other hand viewing this topic on the area51 takes perhaps 2 secs and topics on a forum running on a shared service maybe 2-3 times that, so a lot of the time (99%) is being spent on none application activities. Understanding these and addressing "the low hanging fruit" can have a profound impact on the responsiveness of the application.
  • The one of these that is apparent at an application level is the overhead of executing D/B queries, so quite a lot of effort has gone into optimising query design and adding a query cache cache mechanism to avoid hitting the D/B with low volatility queries.
  • PHP image activation and application code compilation are unavoidable on a shared service and these add about 150mSec to request times. This overhead that can be and normally is avoided on a dedicated service (e.g. by using mod_php/FastCGI to create persistent PHP processes, and use of an opcode cache to avoid compilation).
  • Correct tuning of Apache / IIS to maximise use of local browser caching and data-stream compression can significantly reduce the number and size of secondary requests to render a phpBB page. Yet we are entirely silent on this issue in our documentation.
  • There are two key strategies which can significantly reduce runtime on a shared service:
    1. Reading (and writing) lots of files kills application performance. The reason for this is that there is huge contention for the Virtual Filesystem Cache (VFC) on a shared server and files rapidly get flushed out. The server then needs to reload content from the filesystem in the case of a NAS served NFS backend, this involves NFS I/O tunnelled through RPC calls to the NAS server which are of comparable runtime to a typical SQL query to a D/B server. A developer will simply not see this when testing phpBB on a local Apache instance as everything will get cached and all network traffic will be on a localhost loopback. A typical phpBB request reads (and occasionally writes) 30-40 files.
      • Aggregating content from multiple files in to one file can significantly accelerate performance.
    2. Whenever possible, the application should correctly negotiate the revalidation protocols for quasi-static content. The two relevant modules here are download/file.php and style.php, and these modules don't do this (except for avatars).
In terms of file aggregation, there are three major opportunities for this (i) the single-file ACM cache option for small sites that we've previously discussed in this topic; (ii) the ability to create safe composite include files, so that if you know that request X always needs 14 specific include files then if you are running on a shared service, simply replace X by a copy which also includes the said 14 include file content. (iii) a simple modification to the templating engine to inline included templates. These three together reduce the number of files needed to be read by over 20.

The easiest way for me to explain what I mean about a correct-negotiation version of file.php will be to rewrite it and submit this version.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

That all makes perfect sense to me. As for improving file.php. I think the hurdle to pay attention to there is attachment permissions: making sure that content is not served to users who do not have the appropriate permissions.

TerryE

Post by TerryE »

Yup, I've been looking at the code and had already come to that conclusion.