Ban user and disapprove all posts or delete user and posts

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Oleg

Ban user and disapprove all posts or delete user and posts

Post by Oleg »

i'm pretty sure this currently requires a modification, and now that I am using modcp of a certain board I really cannot believe this is not part of phpbb.

Every unmodified and every popular board out there must have to moderate spam posts. Currently at least two separate actions are required for every spammer, and if they managed to post more than a single post then more than two actions are needed. There is just no need to make people do so much useless work.

I can see two popular policy choices:

1. Delete spammer user account and delete all posts made by user account. (What I coded for my board.)

2. Ban spammer and disapprove all posts with the same reason - spam. (What I'm doing now.)

They should probably both be supported. The UI that might work is:

1. On the ban confirmation page, add a check box saying "also disapprove all posts from this user in moderation queue with reason: <drop-down with defined reasons>".

2. For deleting users, I'm not sure what the best place for that would be - on my board I added a link to user profiles to nuke the users, so either adding a link next to "Banning" that would delete the user, with a checkbox to nuke all of their posts, or extend the banning page to provide the option to delete the user and optionally their posts.

For this shortcut, I figure the disapproval reason should be selectable, but one reason would apply to all posts in moderation. If the admin wants to disapprove different posts with different reasons they would need to do that individually.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Ban user and disapprove all posts or delete user and pos

Post by DavidIQ »

You should add to the list banning of all 3 bannable items at one time (username, email, IP). There are MODs for this one like Tri-force, ban-hammer, etc. and I think there are some for some of the other things you've mentioned.

Sam

Post by Sam »

I would also make it hookable, with the IP, Username, and Email available. MOD authors could create a spammer blacklist reporting system with such a thing.
Maybe we could also create a Ban Type: Normal, Spammer. A "Spammer" type ban would be rid the posts, clear out the profile, basically nuke the user, while the Normal is just if the member broke too many rules and now has a ban.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

I noticed that multiple posts may be disapproved at once, but each must be individually marked - there is no "mark all" link/button/check box. I filed http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-9996 to remedy that.

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Post by bonelifer »

I definitely agree with this. Something similar to EXreaction's "One Click" ban mod (but without all the bugs that need fixed after installing it). :P
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

exintaexi

Post by exintaexi »

Ok, I cannot agree more with this topic. And if I may I want to add a couple of things that probably just didn't happen to you and slipped your attention.

Oddly, when a "post edited", "post deleted" or "user warned" action is logged, the links provided are: "view forum" and "view topic".

That IMHO is quite useless. I mean why get in trouble to extract topic and forum information for a deleted or edited post? How will you actually find the post? And why link to the forum when a user is warned? That's best described as bug rather than a feature missing. :roll:

So I'd like add my vote on this and add:
1) Add a link to user profile and actual post when a post edit is logged. Probably drop links to forum/topic.
2) Add a link to user profile when a user warned is logged, and also a link to the actual post if warned for a specific post and not through profile.
3) Add a link to user profile when a post deleted is logged and (with a question mark) a link to the post deleted just for those who have some kind of soft delete configured?

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

exintaexi, the topic about adding hyperlinks to modcp is here: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=35730

exintaexi

Post by exintaexi »

nn-, sorry for that, i mixed the topics and replied to the wrong one! Of course I agree with this one too ;)