3.1 Status

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Oleg

Re: 3.1 Status

Post by Oleg »

The first post is being updated as things happen. What you see there is the current status.

vellatechie

Post by vellatechie »

Just a general question.. Is there anyway i can test a build or do anything that doesnt need php expertise (i know html) thatl speed up 3.1 development?? Offlate i have couple of hrs to spare everyday so i can be of bit help i guess :)

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

You can download up-to-date 3.1 snapshots using these links:

https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/tarball/develop (tar.gz)
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/zipball/develop (zip)

Install them as you would any phpbb release, this includes fresh installs and updates.

Quick Install at the moment is incapable of using 3.1 tree for itself, that is, the sources/phpbb directory must contain 3.0 tree. I'm also not sure whether quick install is capable of directly installing a 3.1 tree. What is possible is installing a 3.0 tree, copying 3.1 tree over into the new board and running the database updater.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

How to test a particular feature in 3.1:

1. Go to the first post in this topic, pick a feature you want to test. "Patch in progress" features are incomplete, and the following instructions apply to them. To test "Merged" features, download the current 3.1 snapshot as described in the post directly above.

2. Follow the link to the RFC topic.

3. Determine the location of the latest patch. This is done by scanning posts backwards from the most recent post looking for things like "work in progress is: <github url>". In case of timezone topic this is the post.

Since this scanning can be tedious I will be gradually updating the first posts of RFCs with the current patch links, and I have done so for the timezone RFC. However for the time being you might have to look through a few posts to determine what code should be tested.

4. Follow the link to current patch on github.

5. Click on "Source" link in top left corner. It should be already highlighted, click it again.

6. You should now see "Downloads" link on top right where "develop <-> feature/new-tz-handling" was previously. Click there.

7. Under "Download source", download the tree as either a zip file or a tar.gz file depending on your operating system. Make note of "branch: feature/new-tz-handling" - this should match the RFC you are trying to test.

8. Use the downloaded package to perform a clean install or an update of an existing board.

9. Test and post results in the RFC topic.

sooskriszta

Post by sooskriszta »

Any word on the timelines?
OC2PS
Testfestés, Arcfestés, Csillámfestés

Alapanyagok, Képzések, Ismertetők
Hennafestés
GMAT coaching and MBA Admissions Consulting
formerly known as sooskriszta

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Template engine has been merged. It was a prerequisite for implementing hooks and several other changes.

Work on hooks is now underway. Hooks can be separated into 4 pieces:
  • General architecture - modifications to phpbb code to support and invoke hooks (which will be called "extensions"), covers php code and templates
  • Extensions - definition of extensions (these were also called "editless modifications" earlier)
  • Migrations - how database changes will be handled for extensions, and also phpbb itself
  • Extension installation - preliminary discussions here and here - the mechanism through which extensions will be installed and uninstalled.
Extensions are a requirement for 3.1. The other enhancements, strictly speaking, are not. When extensions are implemented we will reevaluate what other changes can be included into 3.1, or can be pushed back to 3.2.

Implementation of extensions is also the cutoff point for incorporating changes not currently on 3.1 roadmap into 3.1. This applies to RFCs for 3.2 and un-RFCed changes. Patches that are complete before extensions are finished will be merged into 3.1. Fate of patches that are not complete when extensions are finished will be decided along with readjustment of scope of 3.1 post extensions merge.

Michaelo

Post by Michaelo »

Possibly premature but is there any discussion in relation to 3.1.x testing?
Mike
Mods: Forum Icons Enhancement, Kiss Portal Engine
Links:
Kiss Portal Engine (dev site) Stargate Portal (archive site) ...
Styles: Technika

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Yes, if you are looking for an example there is viewtopic.php?f=99&t=41639.

I created a report of bugs filed against 3.1-dev, which should roughly be a list of things that are broken as a result of changes in 3.1: http://tracker.phpbb.com/secure/IssueNa ... stId=10240

If you want to try 3.1, bugs should be reported to the issue tracker and general discussion can take place in this forum.

Michaelo

Post by Michaelo »

I managed to track down the source of the problem and correct it... (It resulted in 'Connection closed by remote server', giving no hint as to the problem)

Strangely enough it appears code specific insofar as it's difficult to reproduce unless I use the exact same code...
A little more investigation is required in order to determine any action....

Mike
Mods: Forum Icons Enhancement, Kiss Portal Engine
Links:
Kiss Portal Engine (dev site) Stargate Portal (archive site) ...
Styles: Technika

sooskriszta

Post by sooskriszta »

perhaps you should add viewtopic.php?f=84&t=41673 to the RFC only list?
OC2PS
Testfestés, Arcfestés, Csillámfestés

Alapanyagok, Képzések, Ismertetők
Hennafestés
GMAT coaching and MBA Admissions Consulting
formerly known as sooskriszta