Users browsing current forum

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
alexemilov

Users browsing current forum

Post by alexemilov »

I really don't see any useful thing to see how many people see this forum.
If it was how many people see this topic you would have some very useful information, if you wait for quick information or to see if someone is interested in what you post.
Users browsing this forum: pesho and 12 guests..
Who cares how many guests are seeing this forum, absolutely no reason to be there this info.
For example when I post to Support 3.0.x in phpbb.com I see users browsing in the forum.. etc for example 20 users and 120 guests and I don't get anything useful from this, if its browsing my topic its really really better and I will know if someone wanna post or wanna help!

keith10456

Re: Users browsing current forum

Post by keith10456 »

I find the feature/information useful... But that's just me.

Frug

Post by Frug »

Users online: least amount of detail
Users browsing forum: more detail
User browsing topic: even more detail

You're basically complaining that you don't have the finest grain of detail. But why confuse your request with wanting to remove the other levels? They are useful too.

/a3

Post by /a3 »

I do agree with alexemilov here - the users browsing the current forum could potentially be hidden because it does seem a bit unnecessary for most users.

Maybe it could be hidden with JavaScript? Or maybe viewonline.php could somehow extended to view users browsing specific forums? Or maybe that's phpBB4?
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

alexemilov

Post by alexemilov »

Frug your don't get what I'm talking about.
I mean, yes we have infromation who is browsing this forum, but we actually can't use this information.Its useless and stupid.
This information is only for viewforum, for viewtopic it should be for the current topic.
I post topic and I see how many people are browsing the forum.Who cares? I need the info about my topic.If I see that there are 3 people watching my topic I should stay online, but when I see users browsing this forum - 3 I can stay 10minutes and for that time no one may not see my topic, but I can't know this and I will wait.So this info is useless..

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

I think it would be a good idea, but it could result in some kind of stalking.
As a normal user could go and see which topics another user reads.

But that shouldn't be to hard to create for a MOD-Author.
Not sure whether this should go into the core.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Ger

Post by Ger »

IIRC, phpBB2 had this by default. Other software like IPB also has this by default (even indicating that who's writing a post or -for admins- who's invisible).
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

phpBB2 did not track users in specific topics or fora. phpBB3 added the "forums" tracking.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I would like to see this feature implemented, but I think users should have to have permissions to do it too. The company I work for uses a vB forum, and I always check who's browsing the thread before I answer a support request - if someone higher than me is reading the topic, I won't answer it.

On the other hand, it could kind of lead to stalking, which is why it should be done using permissions. I think it incredibly unlikely that this would happen though, there are plenty of ways to stalk people on a forum.

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog