New Features-

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
jason102178

New Features-

Post by jason102178 »

I was told this is the right place to recommend new features for the upcoming 3x version of phpbb.... if it is not please accept my appologize and if you could move it to the appropriate area i would appreciate it...

I am not a tech guru and i do not know alot of the terminology so please bear with me why i try to explain

I love using phpbb as my forum but trying to add mods can be a nightmare and take hours and days for us to try to figure out... i think it should be made easier

with that being said alot of people i have talked to have asked me how come i havent implmented certain things on my board and it would be nice if it came standard with the php installation

1.the first thing i would like to recomend being added in the ACP is an area were users can turn on and off facebook connect i think adding facebook connect is such a nice feature to have so it doesnt take up alot of time for users to try to register.. i have been trying to figure out how to implement this for months now and have came up short and havent figured it out... and other boards i guess have already implmented this feature

2. the next thing i would like to suggest being added is an implemation of an instant messaging service.... other then jabber because quite frankly jabber stinks and over 90% of people who uses phpbb does not use this feature because no one can get it to connect to the jabber server... the setting up of it looks easy but no matter what server is tried no luck with that....

3. the next thing i would like to recommend is someplace in the acp a feature added were we as admin can also add or enable other things for profiles for example currently there is only listed aim name-yahoo name- the users website..... i would like to see other things such as peoples myspace links and facebook links and twitter accounts because currently theres no easy feature for me to just add it so people can list there other names they would like too....

4. If possible i would like to see the phpbb development make the next one be more google friendly like vbullitin i hate to mention there names because i really like phpbb and i think more features with sitemaps would be a good addition along with updating the laying out of the ACP to be more user friendly and just over all easier to use because over half the users who are using phpbb do not know how to install alot of mods and i dont know how to do alot of that either and it would just make it nice so people who want these features could enable them if they wanted them if phpbb implemented them in the next version and it would cut down on the amount of request for help installing stuff and doing certain things..

as the internet evolves and social networking and twitter ect is a way people are staying connected and i think it would let the forums be better connected and be more interactive.....

theres no need to reply to this post as i prolly be not be checking back if something was posted... i just wanted to give my input and a few suggestions on things i would like to see in the upcomming release..... because the last release really didnt add many features it was more of a bug fix...

Thanks for your time....

GravityDK

Re: New Features-

Post by GravityDK »

Being able to add at least twitter to the user profile, but ideally any admin-definable set of 'internet identities' would be great.
I've used this Twitter mod.

For Facebook and others as user authentication, it looks more persuasive in 4.0, see here.

igorw

Post by igorw »

jason102178 wrote:I love using phpbb as my forum but trying to add mods can be a nightmare and take hours and days for us to try to figure out... i think it should be made easier
This is happening, a hooks system is coming to phpBB 3.1.
jason102178 wrote:1.the first thing i would like to recomend being added in the ACP is an area were users can turn on and off facebook connect i think adding facebook connect is such a nice feature to have so it doesnt take up alot of time for users to try to register.. i have been trying to figure out how to implement this for months now and have came up short and havent figured it out... and other boards i guess have already implmented this feature
There is an authentification plugin refactoring on the schedule that should make this possible.
jason102178 wrote:2. the next thing i would like to suggest being added is an implemation of an instant messaging service.... other then jabber because quite frankly jabber stinks and over 90% of people who uses phpbb does not use this feature because no one can get it to connect to the jabber server... the setting up of it looks easy but no matter what server is tried no luck with that....
I've never had any problems with jabber. While I don't think more IM services should be supported out of the box (stability, closed protocols, legal issues), having a more pluggable interface for IM notification would be nice. However, this is not a priority right now.
jason102178 wrote:3. the next thing i would like to recommend is someplace in the acp a feature added were we as admin can also add or enable other things for profiles for example currently there is only listed aim name-yahoo name- the users website..... i would like to see other things such as peoples myspace links and facebook links and twitter accounts because currently theres no easy feature for me to just add it so people can list there other names they would like too....
We have an excellent custom profile fields feature that does just that. ;)
jason102178 wrote:4. If possible i would like to see the phpbb development make the next one be more google friendly like vbullitin i hate to mention there names because i really like phpbb and i think more features with sitemaps would be a good addition along with updating the laying out of the ACP to be more user friendly and just over all easier to use because over half the users who are using phpbb do not know how to install alot of mods and i dont know how to do alot of that either and it would just make it nice so people who want these features could enable them if they wanted them if phpbb implemented them in the next version and it would cut down on the amount of request for help installing stuff and doing certain things..
Believe it or not, phpBB is actually very search engine friendly.
jason102178 wrote:theres no need to reply to this post as i prolly be not be checking back if something was posted... i just wanted to give my input and a few suggestions on things i would like to see in the upcomming release..... because the last release really didnt add many features it was more of a bug fix...
Stability is very important, which is why the 3.0 line has not had any major feature additions. We are working on the upcoming 3.1 which will add many new features, see here.

blesstech

Post by blesstech »

I agree to the facebook connect idea and also the facebook and twitter profile link

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello,
IMO all profile fields should be CPFs. But I think this still planned. ???

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Hello,
IMO all profile fields should be CPFs. But I think this still planned. ???

Bye Martin
IIRC, yes, this is the plan.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

sajaki

Post by sajaki »

jason102178 wrote: 2. the next thing i would like to suggest being added is an implemation of an instant messaging service.... other then jabber because quite frankly jabber stinks and over 90% of people who uses phpbb does not use this feature because no one can get it to connect to the jabber server... the setting up of it looks easy but no matter what server is tried no luck with that....
+1. please remove this jabber thing. it should be a mod or plugin. I'm surprised that the messenger class with option 2 has a hardcoded jabber im at functions_messenger.php . imo this should be a generic api call. the actual IM type should be set in the IM plugin.

Code: Select all

case NOTIFY_IM:
				$result = $this->msg_jabber();

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Yup, pull request & RFC for a generic messaging API welcome.