PhpBB Simple/Advanced

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Stoker

PhpBB Simple/Advanced

Post by Stoker »

Hello,

On my board I have a returning problem. My users are not skilled in using phpBB.
Its too advanced for them.
Especially the UCP where they find all the options never ending.

I think it would be a great idea to let the users switch between simple and advanced mode.
Make phpBB easier to use for the people that arent used to forums and internet.

Lets take the posting screen as an example.
All we need in simple mode is the textbox and the submit button.
No save or preview options
No smilies
No bbcodes
No subject
No options or Upload attachment

Then we have UCP.
Without mentoining anything specific, a lot of stuff could be moved to advanced mode without killing the functionality
Nelsaidi

Re: PhpBB Simple/Advanced

Post by Nelsaidi »

Removing the ability to easily add smileys or format their post without any knowledge somehow makes it easier?

People have to learn how to use the forums at some point, and tbh they arent really complicated at all.
Stoker

Post by Stoker »

Nelsaidi wrote:Removing the ability to easily add smileys or format their post without any knowledge somehow makes it easier?
Yes.
Man y users doesnt use bbcode or smilies.
With less thing on posting page its easier to figure out what to do.
Nelsaidi wrote:People have to learn how to use the forums at some point, and tbh they arent really complicated at all.
Yeah, well...
And if they dont they can just leave and find an easier board to use.
Remember that not everybody is comfortable using the internet.
And basicly it is only the administrators that wants all the fancy functions :)

I am 100% sure that this is a good thing and it will increase the amount of people posting on a phpBB board.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

IMO this is a style/template problem. Creating a template that hides features is pretty simple - the question is which features to hide.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Stoker

Post by Stoker »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:IMO this is a style/template problem. Creating a template that hides features is pretty simple - the question is which features to hide.
Not only hide, also a turn on/off switch in UCP.
Yes, which features to hide. Maybe some kind of configuration in ACP? But You are right, its not easy to chose which functions are simple and which are advanced.
ourmike

Post by ourmike »

I think Stoker's idea is a good one, but of course everybody would have different ideas about what features would be in or out at different levels.

It does seem to be a template issue though, and it would be nice to see more new styles being developed rather than endless colour variations of the same one.

I'm currently integrating phpbb3.0 into a new site where I expect most of the users to be forum novices, and I'm building a set of templates where some features will not be implemented at all (such as foes) and other will be 'leveled' so users can choose to use them when/if they become more confident. So, for example, the basic user control panel (which won't be called a user control panel) will just show the Profile options and a cut-down set of Board preferences; the standard method of replying to topics will be the quick reply; the reply box will only be shown after the last post on a topic and not at the bottom of every page; users will always have the option to use 'advanced' reply if they want to.

I'm afraid my style does not use phpbb standards so I won't be offering it for general use and I can't support it, but if you want to see it Stoker drop me a PM.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:IMO this is a style/template problem. Creating a template that hides features is pretty simple - the question is which features to hide.
I agree, think it should just be a style.

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog