A few suggestions...

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Team Blast

A few suggestions...

Post by Team Blast »

I have a few suggestions for features I would love to see in phpBB4 when released.
  • A "Theme Center" in the ACP, where you can browse through skins and download them onto your forum.
  • The ability to fuse Groups with Ranks. I used to use Zetaboards, and found their system was useful. (No offense.)
  • A threaded view option.
  • A shoutbox or chatbox.
  • A "live view" for phpBB style creators.
  • A possible reputation system.
I hope for some of my suggestions to possibly be expanded on. :)

ameeck

Re: A few suggestions...

Post by ameeck »

It would be great if you would expand on them yourself and think them through a bit more. There isn't much to discuss right now.
  • A theme or MOD center is certainly a great idea, already being discussed (probably for phpBB4 I think though)
  • The current system allows both usages - separately or together, you'd have to be more specific what's problematic with the current workflow
  • phpBB was actually create as an alternative to threaded boards - this will not be implemented AFAIK
  • Shoutboxes or Chatboxes should IMHO be available as MODs - only a minority of boards uses them
  • Expand on the idea :)
  • I think there is already some discussion going on about a karma system
Please think before you post.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Yup, I agree with ameeck totally on most of the points :)

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Team Blast

Post by Team Blast »

ameeck wrote:It would be great if you would expand on them yourself and think them through a bit more. There isn't much to discuss right now.
  • The current system allows both usages - separately or together, you'd have to be more specific what's problematic with the current workflow
  • Shoutboxes or Chatboxes should IMHO be available as MODs - only a minority of boards uses them
  • Expand on the idea :)
Well, it would be nice to have a special rank and a post-based rank at the same time.
I've tried installing shoutbox and chatbox mods and apparently they didn't work, even when successful. I would think it would be nice to have included, but the option to disable it would be nice.
Also, the "live view" could be a preview in an iframe over the editor, constantly updating to show your changes.

I've also hoping for an integration friendly option or code generator. I have to use iframes for my current website's forum and it gets annoying when you have 2 scrollbars, variating and confusing you. :(

$username

Post by $username »

I like the ideas of Team Blast. I don't need a shoutbox, but I see many forums with a shoutbox. So it would be a great feature :)