Delete self

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Delete self

Post by callumacrae »

I have seen numerous things about this...

I think there should be an option in the UCP for a member to delete their own account. I have seen a lot of users on forums request this, but I don't think the developers are so keen on it. I think, however, that users should have the choice.

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog
EXreaction

Re: Delete self

Post by EXreaction »

I think the best way to do this would be to have a status option where the user profile information is essentially set to anonymous for all who do not have moderation/administration privileges.

The profile should be kept for moderation/administration stuff for cases like spam. A spammer could post spam all over the board, delete their account, and, if their account was just deleted and their posts were set to be posted by anonymous, it would be horribly difficult to remove the posts.

I also think that posts and such should not be removed as it can make following a topic impossible if a user wants to delete themselves (instead just make it look like it was posted by anonymous to the public).

Also, it would have to be an administrative option to allow deleting of accounts
imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

EXreaction wrote:I think the best way to do this would be to have a status option where the user profile information is essentially set to anonymous for all who do not have moderation/administration privileges.

The profile should be kept for moderation/administration stuff for cases like spam. A spammer could post spam all over the board, delete their account, and, if their account was just deleted and their posts were set to be posted by anonymous, it would be horribly difficult to remove the posts.

I also think that posts and such should not be removed as it can make following a topic impossible if a user wants to delete themselves (instead just make it look like it was posted by anonymous to the public).

Also, it would have to be an administrative option to allow deleting of accounts
That sounds like a really good idea. So basically just have a new field in the database table called like... "user_deleted" or "user_anonymous" and when it's set to 1, the user is considered Anonymous to the public, but shows as the user (possibly with a strike through the name for admin/mods so that they know the user has been deleted?) to admin/mods, and if it's set to 0 the account works like normal.

Then you'd need to think about people registering with the same username or email. Would that be allowed, since the user's account is, for all practical purposes, "deleted" as far as the public knows?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

imkingdavid wrote:So basically just have a new field in the database table called like... "user_deleted" or "user_anonymous" and when it's set to 1, the user is considered Anonymous to the public
Or just have their user_type set to anonymous.
imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

DavidIQ wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:So basically just have a new field in the database table called like... "user_deleted" or "user_anonymous" and when it's set to 1, the user is considered Anonymous to the public
Or just have their user_type set to anonymous.
xD Or that.
EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

You should be able to allow registration of the same username/email address again just by tweaking those queries that check that to ignore the deleted users.
naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Sounds like a rather useful feature to have. Anyone willing to work on it?
imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

naderman wrote:Sounds like a rather useful feature to have. Anyone willing to work on it?
I might be interested... is there some information somewhere about how the process of submitting stuff like this goes?
naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Well firstly you would create a ticket on the tracker. You would then fork phpBB on github, work on the feature off of the develop branch locally, and then use the "submit patch" action in the tracker to point to your feature branch on github.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Its my experience that, when a user wants to delete his own account, he wants to take all the content with him, he does not want to become "anonymous".

Also, would it be possible to "un-delete" yourself? Some users would like this, others would not.
A_Jelly_Doughnut