Comparison & Result & Suggestions

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Re: Comparison & Result & Suggestions

Post by bantu »

Arman_Ajn wrote:what about this one "attachment with direct link (with resume capability)"
So you want "resume capability", not direct link. I wonder if this isn't already possible.
Arman_Ajn wrote:another one is Transferring the posts of a user to another after deleting him... (no MOD for it !)
Sounds useful. phpBB should allow you to merge two user accounts, I agree.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Unless the way topic titles are displayed (for search engines) is changed, I think number 9 would be a great addition for the community as a whole.

SEO in phpbb needs a second look (in my opinion).

Arman_Ajn

Post by Arman_Ajn »

bantu wrote:
Arman_Ajn wrote:what about this one "attachment with direct link (with resume capability)"
So you want "resume capability", not direct link. I wonder if this isn't already possible.
is it possible to have resume capability in attachments ? i will really appriciate if you could tell me how . thanks big time :mrgreen:

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Arman_Ajn wrote:
bantu wrote:
is it possible to have resume capability in attachments ? i will really appriciate if you could tell me how . thanks big time :mrgreen:
Is that feature really necessary given today's use of highspeed/broadband, etc.? I mean, unless members are going to be uploading attachments of 100 MB I don't see the need for it... for your average Board anyway.

Isn't most attachment uploads set to max around 10-20 MB (if that)? Even if you double that - the attachments would only be around 40MB. No need for a "resume"... Just my 2 cents.

If this was 5-10 years ago, I'd be all for it :)

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

If your allowing users to upload large files phpBB isnt really the ideal application for such things.

Keith broadband in europe may be fast, likewise in the USA but move out further it gets slower, so an assumption of fast internet is wrong.

Whilst the such a feature may help with the above scenario, see my first point.

SEO in phpBB is fine, search engines can find all topics and posts and pages and anything else that it has permisions to access. The only improvement would be more human friendly page titles and thats been discussed (please say its being done though!) - Forums rank high so long as content is good.

Arman_Ajn

Post by Arman_Ajn »

keith10456 wrote:
Arman_Ajn wrote:
bantu wrote:
Is that feature really necessary given today's use of highspeed/broadband, etc.? I mean, unless members are going to be uploading attachments of 100 MB I don't see the need for it... for your average Board anyway.

Isn't most attachment uploads set to max around 10-20 MB (if that)? Even if you double that - the attachments would only be around 40MB. No need for a "resume"... Just my 2 cents.

If this was 5-10 years ago, I'd be all for it :)
i don't agree ! Some countries still use dial up connection ! in my own country for instance 90% of internet users are using dial up 56Kbps and just 10% of them use ADSL! so the resume capability is very necessary for them!

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Nelsaidi wrote:If your allowing users to upload large files phpBB isnt really the ideal application for such things.

Keith broadband in europe may be fast, likewise in the USA but move out further it gets slower, so an assumption of fast internet is wrong.

Whilst the such a feature may help with the above scenario, see my first point.

SEO in phpBB is fine, search engines can find all topics and posts and pages and anything else that it has permisions to access. The only improvement would be more human friendly page titles and thats been discussed (please say its being done though!) - Forums rank high so long as content is good.
Good points... ;)

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Arman_Ajn wrote:is it possible to have resume capability in attachments ? i will really appriciate if you could tell me how . thanks big time :mrgreen:
Yes, it looks like it is possible to have resume capability for attachments by implementing RFC2616 Section 14.35.

I filed this as a feature for 3.1.x: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-9627

If you want to discuss it in detail, please create a new topic.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

I'm sorry but I just had to reply @ the TS..

Because other forum software has it, doesn't mean that phpBB must have it. If everything was the same (like features etc) then there isn't much to choose from. It would become obsolete to have 4 or 5 different "companies" making it, oké perhaps code based might be somewhat different. What I mean is that phpBB must stand out or it will just be eaten up by the masses.

It's like with cars.. What car would you buy or get if every single car has the same features like 250 hp, 450Nm, electric windows, fancy rims, the whole 9 yards.. TBH I would just go to the nearest dealer and pick one up, regardless of the "brand".
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Stoker

Post by Stoker »

Rotsblok wrote:I'm sorry but I just had to reply @ the TS..

Because other forum software has it, doesn't mean that phpBB must have it. If everything was the same (like features etc) then there isn't much to choose from. It would become obsolete to have 4 or 5 different "companies" making it, oké perhaps code based might be somewhat different. What I mean is that phpBB must stand out or it will just be eaten up by the masses.

It's like with cars.. What car would you buy or get if every single car has the same features like 250 hp, 450Nm, electric windows, fancy rims, the whole 9 yards.. TBH I would just go to the nearest dealer and pick one up, regardless of the "brand".
And the good thing about phpBB is that it isnt overloaded with all kinds of crap like some other BB software is.
There is a difference, but personally I think it is a positive thing.