WYSIWYG editor

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Nelsaidi

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by Nelsaidi »

Stoker wrote:You can really beautyfi your posts with a WYSIWYG editor. My point is that nobody really uses it.
In most boards the users will have no idea how to use the WYSIWYG editor. It will only confuse them.

I dont think that a WYSIWYG editor ever will be implemented in phpBB and I honestly believe it would be a mistake to do it.
WYSWYG Editor for phpBB will offer the same functionality just the advantage of seeing how your post will come out.

It works in exactly the same way, the only difference is losing the ability to manually type BBCode (unless you decide to parse it)

And it would cater for the standard BBCode I take it, ie look at http://files.vbulletin.com/images/cart/ ... rtical.png (would be similar)

Almost every other forum software has a WYSIWYG editor :/

Arman_Ajn

Post by Arman_Ajn »

a WYSIWYG editor for phpbb is essential .
it is very difficult for users to post in a way that they dont see what their posts will look like unless they hit the preview key...
so i totally agree on WYSIWYG editors ;)

FeyFre

Post by FeyFre »

WYSIWYG in phpbb... no, I do not want that.
Why?
  1. What about custom BBCodes? About different kinds of Spoiler, Hide, Table BBCodes? What about BBCodes that require complex server-side actions? BBCodes are not only text decorators nowadays. To implement WYSIWYG editor means to force all BBCode creators to reimplement part of WYSIWYG editor themselves. They are web-designer at most cases, not programmers.
  2. WYSIWYG editors are perfect for long term representative articles. But for rapid posting and discussions they are only source of annoyance. I want reply quickly. I do not want wait any other second while engine consume my input, and give me output which is not guaranteed to be the same in any browser(for instance MS do not bother to implement W3C standards of HTML rendering, they can craft own).
  3. What about JavaScript limited or incapable devices? What about mouseless devices? What about CLDC devices at all? What benefit they will have? They all will be unable even to start WYSIWYG. It will limit number of user able to use phpbb.
I think, the best solution is AJAX-ed preview. Average user
OFF:
A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:And Visual Studio is more user friendly than vim
+100 :lol: :lol:

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

1. That is the main issue with all editors of its likes. Placeholders would solve it to some extent but still be troublesome.

2. Any other second? Unless your on a 10 year old PC, even then the calculation time is not noticable; it wouldnt bother you.

3. The editor hooks itself onto an onload command, when this is run (by a javascript enabled device) it turns the standard textarea into a fancy one. What can use phpBB will not be affected

a WYSIWYG is fully optional and would be able to enable or disabled by default from UCP I assume

igorw

Post by igorw »

I see that some people may not want a WYSIWYG editor, but that person is not the average joe. And I don't see why it shouldn't be an option. You can always switch to a plain editor if you think you are cool. Or one that emulates VIM using javascript. Also, you voice concerns with non-javascript devices and suggest using AJAX?

Custom BBCodes are surely a challenge, you are very right there. And AJAX may come in handy for solving that issue.

FeyFre

Post by FeyFre »

eviL3 wrote:I see that some people may not want a WYSIWYG editor, but that person is not the average joe. And I don't see why it shouldn't be an option.
Threat me as the worst case and dance around me(really notable rule during software development).
eviL3 wrote:You can always switch to a plain editor if you think you are cool.
I think it should be vice versa: "You can always switch to WYSIWYG editor if you have not enough experience to post without it."
eviL3 wrote:Also, you voice concerns with non-javascript devices and suggest using AJAX?
:oops: My posts some times a bit not clear. :oops:
I meant AJAX is good compromise between wish to implement in-place post preview feature and limitation of some web-clients. AJAX-based implementation will work almost perfectly at least in OperaMini and similar clients, whereas WYSIWYG will be a kind of pain.

Stoker

Post by Stoker »

eviL3 wrote:I see that some people may not want a WYSIWYG editor, but that person is not the average joe. And I don't see why it shouldn't be an option. You can always switch to a plain editor if you think you are cool. Or one that emulates VIM using javascript. Also, you voice concerns with non-javascript devices and suggest using AJAX?

Custom BBCodes are surely a challenge, you are very right there. And AJAX may come in handy for solving that issue.
Well, there is no reason for me to argue against such feature if you can switch it on/off like the Quick Reply and let it be off by default.
Maybe even have UCP control for it.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

Stoker wrote:
eviL3 wrote:I see that some people may not want a WYSIWYG editor, but that person is not the average joe. And I don't see why it shouldn't be an option. You can always switch to a plain editor if you think you are cool. Or one that emulates VIM using javascript. Also, you voice concerns with non-javascript devices and suggest using AJAX?

Well, there is no reason for me to argue against such feature if you can switch it on/off like the Quick Reply and let it be off by default.
Maybe even have UCP control for it.
+1
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

I'm not sure as to how all of the back-end code works... Just wondering if a WYSIWYG editor was added, how would it affect the previous posts that were made with custom bbcode (ie YouTube, Stream, etc.)?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

keith10456 wrote:I'm not sure as to how all of the back-end code works... Just wondering if a WYSIWYG editor was added, how would it affect the previous posts that were made with custom bbcode (ie YouTube, Stream, etc.)?
A WYSIWYG editor is not a change in how codes are stored. It's a change in how the codes are actually used and applied to what is being typed. If you want to make something bold right now you would have to select that text, clickthe "B" button, and click Preview to see what changed. Same with posting images inline. A WYSIWYG editor would eliminate the need to do all that and save the end user typing time. It would basically just translate the typing of the BBCodes into real-time formating within the textbox itself just like if you were using something like WordPad or MS Word or an OpenOffice.org product.