WYSIWYG editor

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Nelsaidi

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by Nelsaidi »

Remember WYSIWYG editor would be completely optional, and most likely enabled or disabled by default based on users options.

Wouldnt this do better in 3.2 discussion since its something people are looking to implement but not quiet there?

am.hitek

Post by am.hitek »

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to stop by and say I think an optional wysiwyg editor would be great. Or at least work on a mod. And one that still allows for bbcodes (if possible).

I think the user should also the option decide if they want to use the wysiwyg editor or the standard editor.

Keep up the great work.

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Ger wrote:On the other hand: I understand the wish for it from a newby point of view. For instance on a forum of mine where there are many users with almost no knowledge about code whatsoever, they simply don't use formatting since they don't know how. For that kind of people a WYSIWYG editor would be great.
Besides that, there's the point of usebillity. I think it's not very user-frindly to require knowledge of some code or extra mouseclicks to create a nice formatted message. The argument about "it's a forum, not a website" is wrong IMHO; there are boards out there wich have many large and complex messages. One forum of mine, about science ("wetenschapsforum" or translated "science forum") has many messages where complex theories are explained. Easy formatting is very welcome there. We would like to make that formatting as easy as possible since we'd rather see the users gain scientific knowledge than learning some BBcode. For now there is no good WYSIWYG editor for that board (IPB, not phpBB) since it would break on stuff like LaTeX, WebGraph of chemical formulas.
Sure there are cases where a WYSIWYG can be useful but I personally don't see a use for the majority of boards (besidez teh cewlnez 8-)). Hence I would value a good WYSIWYG editor more highly than one in the core product. In my personal opinion what goes for the WYSIWYG editor goes for QR but we all know what happened with that ;).
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

so... i think we can not see a WYSIWYG editor in 3.1 :cry:

ameisez

Post by ameisez »

let's hope for it on 3.1.x or 3.2 :|

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

i think NicEdit is light and good for phpBB :D

http://nicedit.com/index.php

BullsNet

Post by BullsNet »

phpBB needs a WYSIWYG EDITOR.

The big forums have it such as myBB, vBulletin, IPB.

All the users use it and it is very helpful, it should be implemented into the forum, not a plugin and have an option to reject it similar to quick reply that was implemented.

alhitary

Post by alhitary »

One thing for phpbb developer,

WYSIWYG editor is the favorite editor for Arabs users.

Therefore, VB bulletin is the wide most use in Arabs countries.

I wish you take that into your consideration ( if you interest in Arabs countries )

Addition of WYSIWYG editor in next phpbb will take popularity & priority from VB to phpbb in Arabs countries.

Just for your kind information

blue2blue

Post by blue2blue »

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by the number of what seem to me to be short-sighted comments regarding the lack of necessity for hot-key-driven WYSIWYG post editing, but, nonetheless, some of these comments above surprise me.

I'm a coder, myself, I've coded a number of server scripting database driven apps from e-commerce catalog sale sites to galleries and comment systems, so I well understand the hassles involved in such enterprise. Sometimes the hassles of wrapping one's code around third party add-ins seems like a toss-up vis a vis coding from the ground up. Well understood that these are not trivial considerations.

But at a certain point, when one is developing a web application, one has to address the issue of just who the development is designed to benefit and, if the answer is end users, then you have to ask yourself, what do those users want?

I'm a fast typist, inserting both BB and HTML code 'by hand' is second nature to me, and my eye is trained at quickly parsing code with inline markup in it.

But it is, nonetheless, a huge pain in the neck to use a BB which does not have hot-key driven WYSIWYG editing and display.

In the last year of so, I've moved increasingly into developing social networking enabled sites and, so, have become somewhat conversant in Drupal developing. Drupal, of course, was not designed as a platform for conventional BB's, but it is, indeed, possible to extend and customize it in such a way as to create a richly featured BB with both hot-key driven rich text editing and display, but do add in other custom features as well. It's not a trivial effort, but it seems worth it to me for the customer satisfaction it engenders.

And, speaking of customer satisfaction, I think it's something all developers must continually query themselves on: What are your priorities? The ultimate satisfaction of end users? Or the convenience of the developer?

MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

That would be really awesome to have a WYSIWYG editor.