WYSIWYG editor

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
keith10456

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by keith10456 »

DavidIQ wrote:
keith10456 wrote:I'm not sure as to how all of the back-end code works... Just wondering if a WYSIWYG editor was added, how would it affect the previous posts that were made with custom bbcode (ie YouTube, Stream, etc.)?
A WYSIWYG editor is not a change in how codes are stored. It's a change in how the codes are actually used and applied to what is being typed. If you want to make something bold right now you would have to select that text, clickthe "B" button, and click Preview to see what changed. Same with posting images inline. A WYSIWYG editor would eliminate the need to do all that and save the end user typing time. It would basically just translate the typing of the BBCodes into real-time formating within the textbox itself just like if you were using something like WordPad or MS Word or an OpenOffice.org product.
Thanks for the info...

Would it be as easy to add custom buttons to the WYSIWYG editor? My question stems from the concern of still having the ability to utilize the YouTube button (among some of the other popular custom bbcode buttons).
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Therein lies the problem/challenge with adding a WYSIWYG editor (custom BBCodes) ;) That's why it's not really easy to just drop in CKEditor or some other such.
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

Rotsblok wrote:
Stoker wrote:
eviL3 wrote:I see that some people may not want a WYSIWYG editor, but that person is not the average joe. And I don't see why it shouldn't be an option. You can always switch to a plain editor if you think you are cool. Or one that emulates VIM using javascript. Also, you voice concerns with non-javascript devices and suggest using AJAX?

Custom BBCodes are surely a challenge, you are very right there. And AJAX may come in handy for solving that issue.
Well, there is no reason for me to argue against such feature if you can switch it on/off like the Quick Reply and let it be off by default.
Maybe even have UCP control for it.
+1
+1 as well.

FWIW if there is a UCP control, it should also prevent any JS for the WYSIWYG editor from being loaded if the editor is disabled.
Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

What if your writing a long post and decide that WYSIWYG might be good that one time?

What I think is by default user selects whether its on or off, and if off the JS isnt really loaded, but the ability to load it by pressing that fancy button on the right of it should still be possible, this can then load the required JS. Doing so however only enables for that post and remains by default off
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Nelsaidi wrote:What if your writing a long post and decide that WYSIWYG might be good that one time?

What I think is by default user selects whether its on or off, and if off the JS isnt really loaded, but the ability to load it by pressing that fancy button on the right of it should still be possible, this can then load the required JS. Doing so however only enables for that post and remains by default off
That's a good idea ;)
ff9will

Post by ff9will »

Sometimes I need to post large articles on the forum (because it's for game development), as there is no WYSIWYG editor in phpbb, I have to create texts in openoffice. But currently it is very difficult for me to create an algorithm to export from openoffice to bbcode.
So I think a WYSIWYG editor would be extremely helpful.
sajaki

Post by sajaki »

maybe it will work for simple formatting, but wysiwyg won't work for complex bbcodes.
for example look at this bbcode mod :
http://www.avathar.be/demo/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4&p=8#p8
it calls a server, pulls an xml, instantiates a php class, fetches an rss, formats the output using jquery tools overlay, all with a bbcode. utterly impossible with wysiwyg.
cleftangels

Post by cleftangels »

I am using this WYSIWYG editor for my board. Had no problems with bbcode or anything. Works beautifully. Now just trying to find out how to put it into the quick reply system

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1215335
Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

cleftangels wrote:I am using this WYSIWYG editor for my board. Had no problems with bbcode or anything. Works beautifully. Now just trying to find out how to put it into the quick reply system

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1215335
no its not a good mod. i had it and deleted it after a while.
now i using the light hot editor on my forum. hot editor is not good too.... but

it seems its a nice editor , i think this is good for 3.1.0
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p12824153
sam1

Post by sam1 »

hi where i can find this mod hot editor i couldnt find it...