CSS sprites to improve network performance

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
wecs

CSS sprites to improve network performance

Post by wecs »

Like google does http://foremostmedia.blogspot.com/2010/ ... -neat.html
Sprites http://www.alistapart.com/articles/sprites

It can be a good idea to reduce requests to servers, make the load faster, save bandwidth...

For custom skins(or custom imageset), online css sprite generators can help and make easier the adaptation to this change
http://css-sprit.es/
http://spritegen.website-performance.org/

All what they need is only a master image, the css stylesheet do the rest.

Oleg

Re: [RFC] CSS sprites to improve network performance

Post by Oleg »

Yes please.

igorw

Post by igorw »

Yes, but it needs to be painless. There must be a script to generate appropriate images and css for production environments. And it needs to be possible to turn it off with a flip of a switch and fall back to plain images. On-the-fly (re-)compilation may be an option too, I guess.

naderman
Consultant

Re: CSS sprites to improve network performance

Post by naderman »

Not in RFC format, so moved to discussion. Not sure why this is a 4.0 thing. I definately agree, but this shouldn't be too hard to accomplish in 3.x?

Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

CSS sprites is good - and it isn't hard at all.
The only concern is about customizing. E.g. CKEditor has CSS-sprites, but they are from major version to another incompatible, and it is quite hard to make your own (well, if you are a good designer probably not, but we all now not only good webdesigner want to customize the look...)
So at least there must be source-files available when there are any changes (e.g. .psd / .ai or similar).
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Isn't this concept sort of already implemented in the way the New Post button is shown (on hover, it simply moves to another part of the image instead of using a new image)?

I think it's a good idea since it saves bandwidth, and it shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

eviL3 wrote:Yes, but it needs to be painless. There must be a script to generate appropriate images and css for production environments. And it needs to be possible to turn it off with a flip of a switch and fall back to plain images. On-the-fly (re-)compilation may be an option too, I guess.
I second that.

jaybed

Post by jaybed »

CSS Sprites is pretty much the exact same theory. This is just what I need to squeeze out a bit more performance.

joey77

Post by joey77 »

Please don't do that, be patient and wait for ressources packages to be implemented
http://limi.net/articles/resource-packages/

TerryE

Post by TerryE »

Yes, sprites can save bandwidth, but surely the main issue here is the fact that viewing a phpBB page simply generates too many unnecessary requests -- a typical viewtopic can generate over 40. It's not so much the bandwidth, but the general responsiveness. I've had to crank up my Apache prefork config to stop the ridiculous child process churn that this generates. I've given some background analysis on my observations on this article.

Grouping images into sprites by category makes tremendous sense. We could end up waiting for ever for resource packages.