Page Titles - Unnecesarily wrong, Review Them

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Oleg

Re: Page Titles - Unnecesarily wrong, Review Them

Post by Oleg »

I don't have a strong opinion one way or another, but was the text 'view forum' / 'view topic' consciously removed?

One reason to keep it is newer browsers can search page titles in history. Thus 'ascraeus forum' is an effective way to search for the forum and 'ascraeus topic' is an effective way to look through topics covering ascraeus. Without the text users would need to enter more of the actual topic/forum title to get useful search results.

igorw

Post by igorw »

nn- wrote:I don't have a strong opinion one way or another, but was the text 'view forum' / 'view topic' consciously removed?

One reason to keep it is newer browsers can search page titles in history. Thus 'ascraeus forum' is an effective way to search for the forum and 'ascraeus topic' is an effective way to look through topics covering ascraeus. Without the text users would need to enter more of the actual topic/forum title to get useful search results.
Good point, and it should be considered. I don't think this will be much of an issue in practice, because the ascraeus topics are in the ascraeus forum. You can get to the topics from the forum and from the forum to the topics. And topic titles usually don't contain the name of the forum they are currently in.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

eviL3 wrote: You can get to the topics from the forum and from the forum to the topics.
lol you just said the same thing twice.

Anyway, that is a good point, but I still don't like having the extra words because static information clutters dynamic information. Most of the relevent, dynamic information should be contained at the front of the page title to be seen in the tab, and then static information (i.e. view topic, view forum) could then be placed at the back.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I agree that, if at all, we should append it at the end of the page title.

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

Yes, but without the unnecesary verb of "View(ing)"