Last topic titles

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
imkingdavid

Last topic titles

Post by imkingdavid »

Is it already on the feature list for 3.1 to add the last topic title/link on the index page? I think the NV Advanced Last Topic Titles is a great implementation of the concept, as it has plenty of customization options available in the ACP, and it works great to do what it is meant to do. While I realize that phpBB is not aiming to copy other forum software, most other popular forum software does already have this feature implemented, and I think that having it out-of-the-box would be a good idea.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Erik Frèrejean

Re: Last topic titles

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

phpBB also has it build in ;). proSilver and subSilver2 simply don't utilise this feature but the last topic title gets assigned to the template.

Code: Select all

'LAST_POST_SUBJECT'        => censor_text($last_post_subject), 
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Interesting. Would it be possible for it to be auto-added into pro-silver is what david means as most end-users wouldn't know that.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

I think what we're looking for here is a way to configure styles.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:phpBB also has it build in ;). proSilver and subSilver2 simply don't utilise this feature but the last topic title gets assigned to the template.

Code: Select all

'LAST_POST_SUBJECT'        => censor_text($last_post_subject), 
In that case, I think that this and any other hidden "built-in" features should have an on/off switch in the ACP. Because currently, you'd have to sit down and read through the code to even know it was built in (I figured it was added by the MOD, but I see that the MOD just implements already available information). What was the purpose of including it in the PHP if it was never implemented optionally in the HTML? :)

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

imkingdavid wrote:In that case, I think that this and any other hidden "built-in" features should have an on/off switch in the ACP. Because currently, you'd have to sit down and read through the code to even know it was built in (I figured it was added by the MOD, but I see that the MOD just implements already available information). What was the purpose of including it in the PHP if it was never implemented optionally in the HTML? :)
To allow style authors to display it if they want.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

That makes sense, I guess.

I still think it would be better if it was implemented by default in prosilver, but able to be turned on/off via the ACP.

House

Post by House »

I agree. A simple On/Off switch in the ACP would work fine, and then Admins have the option to use it or not.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I agree with House and imkingdavid.

But that on/off switch would only work when deafult prosilver is installed or a style that supports it is installed. It would just be pointless if a style did not support it.

I think it should be in prosilver (and subsilver if it isn't dropped) but don't have the on/off switch.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

idiotnesia

Post by idiotnesia »

Personally, I don't like the idea switch on/off of last topic titles in acp. This is a basic feature just add it or leave it.
idiotnesia wuz here