Login Logs

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Login Logs

Post by MichaelC »

A useful log I have always thought would be useful would be a log of who logged on at what time, when they logged off and the IP.

Off course some people have more or less dB size for this and there should be a an on/off button and max amount of space field this bit on the db can use up.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

imkingdavid

Re: Login Logs

Post by imkingdavid »

Well, the logoff would be less useful because a lot of people never actually click Logout. But I think having a log with the IP, the number of attempts, etc. would be useful.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Well, as soon as they stop viewing something on the site they effectively have logged off. Thats what I mean. I mean come onto and come off of the site as well as failed logins ect.,
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

code reader

Post by code reader »

Unknown Bliss wrote:Well, as soon as they stop viewing something on the site they effectively have logged off. Thats what I mean. I mean come onto and come off of the site as well as failed logins ect.,
insightful, but pray tell: how do you know when someone stopped viewing something?
all we have on server side is the knowledge of pages requested (which and when). is there a way to sense what does the user actually view?

put differently (in your words): how do you sense the "come off" part?

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

code reader wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:Well, as soon as they stop viewing something on the site they effectively have logged off. Thats what I mean. I mean come onto and come off of the site as well as failed logins ect.,
insightful, but pray tell: how do you know when someone stopped viewing something?
all we have on server side is the knowledge of pages requested (which and when). is there a way to sense what does the user actually view?

Well you could log when the session is garbage collected, but I think logging user activity in this way is a step to far.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

ToonArmy wrote:
code reader wrote:

Well you could log when the session is garbage collected, but I think logging user activity in this way is a step to far.
Fair point

code reader

Post by code reader »

session garbage-collected is a far cry from "as they stop viewing something on the site" which is what the OP was talking about.
this happens, afair about an hour later?
so if you log user activity, you can *automatically* assume that an hour after log-in there is a log-out, and the quality of your information will not differ significantly than if you also log garbage-collecting sessions.
iow: i do not think that logging "garbage collecting the session" will have any real information content.
corollary: you may want to log log-ins (don't we already do it?), but it is pointless to log session expiration.

you *might* want to log active (=user-initiated) log-outs, but at least for me, personally, the only times i actually do it is on my own site, when i want to test something with a different user-thingy.
i never bother logging out of any other forum, and i guess many (most?) other users are like me in this regard.

peace.

Comkid

Post by Comkid »

Why not use JS, like you know those sites that say something when you try to leave, like please come back, well, why not send the info of them leaving the page with JS :P

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Comkid wrote:Why not use JS, like you know those sites that say something when you try to leave, like please come back, well, why not send the info of them leaving the page with JS :P
That would probably work.

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

Just out of interest, why do you think forums would need to see when users have logged in and out? Maybe this would be better left as a MOD/plugin/whatever system phpBB4 will use?
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above