Beware the 4.0

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: Beware the 4.0

Post by MichaelC »

Comkid wrote:Chrome 4 is also great :D

Also Adobe's CS4 products are really good and better than the CS3 :D
Fair point.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I think that any amount of superstition regarding numbers is a bit insane and really has no place in software versioning ;) 4 is the next logical progression from the current version (3), and I see no reason at all why it won't work.
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Really? You think? And here I was just working my self up to be superstitious about it. You’ve dashed all my... fears. :(
I’m sure glad you pointed that all out, what would we have done!
Phil

Post by Phil »

Highway of Life wrote:Really? You think? And here I was just working my self up to be superstitious about it. You’ve dashed all my... fears. :(
I’m sure glad you pointed that all out, what would we have done!
Your sarcasm is not appreciated, David. Though the original post was tongue-in-cheek, further posts in this topic has indeed suggested the departure from traditional versioning for various reasons, hence my response.
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Aside from this post which is another matter and off topic, it’s mostly a big joke. :)
LiquidSpark

Post by LiquidSpark »

Highway of Life wrote:Aside from this post which is another matter and off topic, it’s mostly a big joke. :)
Yes, I agree with the principals of code reader's point.

Numbers alone mean nothing, but they are never used alone - they are symbolic in what they represent in life. How they interact with each other is also symbolic. But in terms of software design, we should only plan to make version 4 better than 3, as 3 was better than 2, and as 5 should be better than 4. Alternatively, make 4 for a different platform, or make 5 for a different platform, but that's not the goal at the moment.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Comkid wrote:Chrome 4 is also great :D

Also Adobe's CS4 products are really good and better than the CS3 :D
Ever used CS4 for mac? It's awful. But then again, all adobes products for mac are awful :)

I don't think the numbering system should be changed just to avoid the number 4.

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog
AlbertPool

Post by AlbertPool »

Indeed, this is becoming superstition like about number 13.
code reader

Post by code reader »

AlbertPool wrote:Indeed, this is becoming superstition like about number 13.
what do you mean "becoming"? the whole premise of this thread was superstitious from the very first post, no?
cahtay123

Post by cahtay123 »

Adobe's CS4 products are better than the CS3,Chrome 4 is great too. :D