Login after register

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Aled

Re: Login after register

Post by Aled »

ToonArmy wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:That's a good point, especially if we aren't sending the user's password in the mail.
Yup, any site where I register that logs me in right away. The first thing I do is log out and log in to store the password.
Perhaps it could redirect you to the login page where your Username and Password you specified are already in the boxes, then it's just a case of clicking "Login" and clicking "Remember Password" in the browser.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Dog Cow wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:The first thing I do is log out and log in to store the password.
That's naughty. :o
Why?
You should be using a password that you can’t remember.
mypassword123 is bad. 9c87baa22$3f464954940f8^59bcf2e233 is a much better password, but impossible to remember, that’s why you would use a password storing utility, which encrypts the data inside and has a master password to access it. Having a truly unique password for each site is also essential, and trying to remember all of your passwords for each site becomes a challenge, don’t you think? :)

I also do the same as ToonArmy, I just end up logging out to log back in and store my password.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Maybe an option saying 'Would you like to Auto-Login After Registration'?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Comkid

Post by Comkid »

I had that in v1.0.1/v1.0.2 ;)

Also, you guys, maybe include: Login After Activation :P

(Doesn't need password in email, just creates the session with the username, skipping the login authentication)

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

I truly hope this will be added to 3.1.

At the very least have it redirect to the Login page.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

GravityDK

Post by GravityDK »

I think really, it's only pretty organised geeks who log-out and log back in to store a complex password.

I would hazard a guess that most community members of non-geek forums use the same password everywhere, and would greatly appreciate not having to log in manually after registration.

Geek forums can always disable the new default behaviour, to log you in automatically; rather than now, where non-geek communities like it enabled and need to change code:)

Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Unknown Bliss wrote:Maybe an option saying 'Would you like to Auto-Login After Registration'?
Suggest not to over-complicate this -- if it ends up in displaying more options to the user, or stuffing the ACP with even more options, it doesn't provide much benefit. I think sensible defaults make more sense than trying to please everyong with options.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

Jhong wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:Maybe an option saying 'Would you like to Auto-Login After Registration'?
Suggest not to over-complicate this -- if it ends up in displaying more options to the user, or stuffing the ACP with even more options, it doesn't provide much benefit. I think sensible defaults make more sense than trying to please everyong with options.
Options to please everyone is actual doing the opposite we're aware of that, it's just confusing. The only time this would actually work is when user activation is off, in those scenarios we could log in the new user. It's really minor detail for now though really.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

I'm curious as to why this was bumped to 4.0 instead of 3.2 (or 3.1). Just wondering... :)