A Couple of things I would like to see if phpbb4

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
drawlings

A Couple of things I would like to see if phpbb4

Post by drawlings »

Good morning all, I am member of a car forum which uses fusionBB for its forums. I have found a couple of nice features on here that I feel would be useful in phpBB. I have grabbed some screen shots to help

1) A 'Shout Box'. Now I know there are many chat mods out there, but I find they are just too big and take up too much space. This 'shout box' sits of the left side of the forum where you can choose to ignore it or use it.
shout box.jpg
shout box.jpg (7.43 KiB) Viewed 22591 times
2) A set of Menu Buttons at the top of the forum and if possible be able to add extra buttons where required.
site buttons.jpg
site buttons.jpg (8.33 KiB) Viewed 22591 times
3) An option to enable 'Quick Reply' on topics would be great.
quick reply.jpg
quick reply.jpg (30.68 KiB) Viewed 22591 times

Thanks

Danny

ckwalsh

Re: A Couple of things I would like to see if phpbb4

Post by ckwalsh »

drawlings wrote:1) A 'Shout Box'. Now I know there are many chat mods out there, but I find they are just too big and take up too much space. This 'shout box' sits of the left side of the forum where you can choose to ignore it or use it.
I know I would have no need of that, and it would get in the way.
drawlings wrote:2) A set of Menu Buttons at the top of the forum and if possible be able to add extra buttons where required.
You mean, just editing the template?

drawlings wrote:3) An option to enable 'Quick Reply' on topics would be great.
3.0.6 added a quick reply. I will bet it will be available in phpBB4

idiotnesia

Post by idiotnesia »

I'm sure shoutbox and menu button can be easily added with the phpbb4 planned plugin system.
idiotnesia wuz here

davaguco

Post by davaguco »

The moderation panel right now is unusable, I try to explain my forum moderators (some only dedicate a few hours a week to moderate and are not computer savy) how to move, merge and split threads but they just won't do it, it's too hard to do. It should be as easy as dragging a topic or post to some (moderator bin?) and then getting it from the bin and dropping it where you need it to be.

When a moderator logs in (or simply visits the forum) it should be clear to him what work is pending: threads or messages that need to be approved, reports that have been created about some users or posts, etc. At least the forum administrators should be able to configure the forum so that moderators are SHOWN this information even if they don't enter the moderator panel.

There should be a way to post messages with a prefix (from a list of given prefixes on the admin panel) and also with a category, so that it is possible on the administration panel to configure your forum to show, for example, all threads on the "Wow game" category with a [Wow] prefix at the subject line. Searches should be able to include these categories, and also users should be able to filter and sort forums based on these categories. There should be some settings so that the forum administration could set up this categories as mandatory (every thread should fit into any of the possible categories).

A forum should have some kind of calendar and be able to insert events on it.

You should be able to change your thread or post colour background based on permissions, thus some groups or users would be able to change their posts background colour, and some wouldn't. You could even set the allowed coloured backgrounds for each group, or set a few coloured background permissions.

When I send a mass e-mail, my hosting company limits the number of recipients to 200. I understand this is a useful security measure, but as it is quite common, I would like my phpbb forum to be able to send a mass e-mail on a 200 by 200 basis (or x by x), waiting a few secs after each batch. This should be configurable on the admin panel.

davaguco

Post by davaguco »

I have translated several MODs into spanish, and find it is not easy to spot where the text to be translated is. Sometimes is on a "es.xml" file, sometimes into the install.xml, sometimes I have to find the /root/language/es/xxx.php file, and finally sometimes I have to find some random files that have language chains hidden inside them (on any /root/includes folder, for example, or /root/admin/ for example...).

The AutoMOD feature fails miserably to find subsilver2 modifications, around 75% of the times I install a new MOD. 50% of the times, it doesn't install all languages, even if correctly translated. This feature should be included with all phpbb 4.x software.

davaguco

Post by davaguco »

I've had several hacking incidents on my forums, that usually modify my index.php file or config.php file. These files should be better protected.

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

davaguco - phpBB *IS* only as secure as you make it, so if your FTP password or admin password is weak, then its no wonder someone has hacked in. You may have existing software which is insecre and vulnerable to be compromised, resulting in your site getting hacked. If your passwords to FTP or ACP are weak, then no wonder :/

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

davaguco wrote:The moderation panel right now is unusable, I try to explain my forum moderators (some only dedicate a few hours a week to moderate and are not computer savy) how to move, merge and split threads but they just won't do it, it's too hard to do. It should be as easy as dragging a topic or post to some (moderator bin?) and then getting it from the bin and dropping it where you need it to be.
The MCP is as robust as can be. If your moderators don't know how to use it then either you're not explaining things well or they shouldn't be moderators.
When a moderator logs in (or simply visits the forum) it should be clear to him what work is pending: threads or messages that need to be approved, reports that have been created about some users or posts, etc. At least the forum administrators should be able to configure the forum so that moderators are SHOWN this information even if they don't enter the moderator panel.
That sounds like a pretty good idea.
There should be a way to post messages with a prefix (from a list of given prefixes on the admin panel) and also with a category, so that it is possible on the administration panel to configure your forum to show, for example, all threads on the "Wow game" category with a [Wow] prefix at the subject line. Searches should be able to include these categories, and also users should be able to filter and sort forums based on these categories. There should be some settings so that the forum administration could set up this categories as mandatory (every thread should fit into any of the possible categories).
Then what would be the point of creating multiple forums? If your users can't post in the correct location then that sounds like a community problem. What makes you think they'll instead use "prefixes"?
I wouldn't see a need for it in most cases. That should be able to be added through the proposed plugins system.
You should be able to change your thread or post colour background based on permissions, thus some groups or users would be able to change their posts background colour, and some wouldn't. You could even set the allowed coloured backgrounds for each group, or set a few coloured background permissions.
I see absolutely no need for this. Not only will it make forums look super ugly but also could cause someone to go blind! :lol:
When I send a mass e-mail, my hosting company limits the number of recipients to 200. I understand this is a useful security measure, but as it is quite common, I would like my phpbb forum to be able to send a mass e-mail on a 200 by 200 basis (or x by x), waiting a few secs after each batch. This should be configurable on the admin panel.
A "Max concurrent recipients" option could help there.
davaguco wrote:I have translated several MODs into spanish, and find it is not easy to spot where the text to be translated is. Sometimes is on a "es.xml" file, sometimes into the install.xml, sometimes I have to find the /root/language/es/xxx.php file, and finally sometimes I have to find some random files that have language chains hidden inside them (on any /root/includes folder, for example, or /root/admin/ for example...).

The AutoMOD feature fails miserably to find subsilver2 modifications, around 75% of the times I install a new MOD. 50% of the times, it doesn't install all languages, even if correctly translated. This feature should be included with all phpbb 4.x software.
What feature should be included? All you did was complain about MODX, MOD packaging, and the language system all in one shot :roll: If you have a problem with AutoMOD this is definitely not the place for that.
davaguco wrote:I've had several hacking incidents on my forums, that usually modify my index.php file or config.php file. These files should be better protected.
These files are as protected as your web server is. If your FTP credentials are breached then no amount of "protecting" will stop someone from changing these files unless you actually own the web server.

Are you unable to edit your own post? If so next time keep it all in one post please. Otherwise it looks like you're spamming...

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

davaguco wrote:The moderation panel right now is unusable, I try to explain my forum moderators (some only dedicate a few hours a week to moderate and are not computer savy) how to move, merge and split threads but they just won't do it, it's too hard to do. It should be as easy as dragging a topic or post to some (moderator bin?) and then getting it from the bin and dropping it where you need it to be.
Its very simple to understand, in case you haven't noticed any half decent moderator knows how to moderate as well as when to use them and tact. If they can't understand the MCP they simply shouldn't be Moderators. Thats like leaving a board un-moderated cause the moderators can't moderate :roll: I always ask for their phpBB Experience and knowledge when hiring them. Yes, everyone starts somewhere and I often help people around and teach them about phpBB (Normally the ACP and coding side mind you) but if you have staff who don't understand a panel after god knows how long teaching them then either they aren't for your forum or your not a very good teacher.
Do you mean like the Moderator Needed MOD?
Thats a MOD
1) A 'Shout Box'. Now I know there are many chat mods out there, but I find they are just too big and take up too much space. This 'shout box' sits of the left side of the forum where you can choose to ignore it or use it.
Again, this is a MOD as alot of forum hosts don't allow shoutboxes and its proven that most forums with a shoutbox alot of activity goes from the forums to the shoutbox. This is better left as a MOD.
No need to be in the vanilla phpBB. I have to admit I am developing a MOD for this though.
davaguco wrote:I have translated several MODs into spanish, and find it is not easy to spot where the text to be translated is. Sometimes is on a "es.xml" file, sometimes into the install.xml, sometimes I have to find the /root/language/es/xxx.php file, and finally sometimes I have to find some random files that have language chains hidden inside them (on any /root/includes folder, for example, or /root/admin/ for example...).

What david said above.
davaguco wrote:I've had several hacking incidents on my forums, that usually modify my index.php file or config.php file. These files should be better protected.
Well, phpBB is very secure. There are currently no security bugs in it at all as tested by the phpBB Community, phpbb.com Teams, Kevalland and I believe an outside security guy?
If you got hacked its either FTP, cPanel, your webhost, your web host's web host (and so on), or bad security (such as number of failed logins) settings/passwords.
I would check your chmod, change ur FTP and cPanel info and make passwords 8 digits long, letters, numbers, upper and lower case, symbols. If it still continues try on another host.
If you have been hacked I recommend you report it to the issue tracker and if you have any concerns and issues about security ask in the Main phpbb.com Forums General Discussion.

EDIT: I stand corrected by Evil<3, where I said 'and an outside security guy' i meant the security audit done by stafan esser from sektioneins and he evil just told me it was a one-off. :oops:
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
No need to be in the vanilla phpBB. I have to admit I am developing a MOD for this though.
*ahem* :lol: