Authentication, Registration and user integration

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Authentication, Registration and user integration

Post by DavidIQ »

ecwpa wrote:Are you considering this for phpBB4? Knowing the phpBB team I guess not but, maybe as a hook.
Funny...last I checked this is being discussed for inclusion in the topic you posted in under the phpBB 4 discussion forum :roll:

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

So it was the quick reply in phpBB2...for years. What I mean was, to have it as a core function of phpBB supported by the phpBB team, not a third party module.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

/a3

Post by /a3 »

ecwpa wrote:So it was the quick reply in phpBB2...for years. What I mean was, to have it as a core function of phpBB supported by the phpBB team, not a third party module.
Quick reply is not 3rd-party, however.

Including Facebook, OpenID etc. by default would create further privacy problems for end-users. I believe that phpBB should be able to function as a self-contained bulletin-board solution by default. 3rd-party dependencies should be added in modules.

As for hooks, I wouldn't have a problem with this.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

uk_martin

Post by uk_martin »

bobtheman wrote:what is your opinion on user profiles?
I think they need to be brought up to date. See what you think about this - http://www.mpsmod.com/profile.php?mode= ... a35ddb9485 It'd the profile page from a MOD created here - http://www.mpsmod.com/ It's a phpBB2 MOD that ran out of steam when the young developer's life, er, "developed".

Something along these lines may help pull in younger users to board, get a fresh feel for the forums and create potential for fuirther Social Media integration.

M