Is there going to be a package manager?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
carlino1994

Is there going to be a package manager?

Post by carlino1994 »

In this version will be implement a manager for install automatically mods?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: What is this forum for?

Post by DavidIQ »

carlino1994 wrote:In this version will be implement a manager for install automatically mods?
I think that might come sooner than 4.x but don't quote me on that. AutoMOD is as best we can do right now for the 3.0.x branch.

jwxie

Re: What is this forum for?

Post by jwxie »

On the automod part, just quote the question above, do we have a decision what kind of modification (okay you gusy want to invent a new word now) will phpBB take??? Simple hook (the kind wordpress has), easy - just upload and activate. But when it comes to what majority is today for 3.0x, we modify codes on our own - is it wise to depend on a script to do everything?

Phil

Re: Is there going to be a package manager?

Post by Phil »

As has been discussed in other topics here the exact implementation, like everything else, is still up in the air. If you search around a bit you can see some thoughts for it, but AFAIK the developers have yet to put their own ideas down on paper yet.
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.

ToonArmy

Re: Is there going to be a package manager?

Post by ToonArmy »

Please try and refrain from any discussion on the plans for 3.x here, it's not relevant. ;)
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM