Philosophical question to phpBB developers

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
bolverk
I've been banned

Philosophical question to phpBB developers

Post by bolverk »

Since the question I specifically addressed to the development team cannot seem to be respected by those here whom I did not ask for a response from, I will take it up with them privately.
Last edited by bolverk on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jwxie

Re: Philosophical question to phpBB developers

Post by jwxie »

I am not a phpBB developer (they are great programmers!)
With Wordpress, I think they are now moving toward expanding its core features, which I am very disappointed. I'd like to compare Python to C++ :lol:

Although Python 3.0 has a lot of changes, which users are having a lot of problem to re-write all of them into 3.0, but Python's philosophy hasn't change at all. Their syntax are still very simple and absolutely fewer than those in C++. They keep python library simple but elegant. You are encourage to write your own library - one of the major reasons why people choose to write python application over c++ for most part. Of course, when it comes to heavy support, which may require complex algorithm and performance, people would probably choose c++ and other languages over python.

Is my comparison valid for phpBB? :lol:
IMO, BB vs Rich text vs WY editors are a pain debate. This is why I say "what about build something that really makes those three into one, neither too basic nor too complicated and waste". I think this is where discussion comes in, and again, people like me can be code contributers once the developers and users have some agreements!

I am sorry to kill this discussion since I am not part of the team, and I am not an expertise in writing php and mysql. I am more into python and c++.

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

jwxie wrote:I am not a phpBB developer (they are great programmers!)
Then why did you hijack my topic by replying? :roll: <-rhetorical, that means do not reply with an answer.

jwxie

Post by jwxie »

bolverk wrote:
jwxie wrote:I am not a phpBB developer (they are great programmers!)
Then why did you hijack my topic by replying? :roll: <-rhetorical, that means do not reply with an answer.
LOL that's my apology, but I like discussion :D

code reader

Post by code reader »

bolverk wrote:Since the question I specifically addressed to the development team cannot seem to be respected by those here whom I did not ask for a response from, I will take it up with them privately.
with all respect, this does not make much sense to me.
if you do not want a discussion, do not start one.
starting a discussion and then complaining when others try to participate is at best a strange behavior.

peace.

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

code reader wrote: with all respect, this does not make much sense to me.
With all due respect, that seems to be a common issue with you.
code reader wrote:if you do not want a discussion, do not start one.
I did not start a discussion, I posted a topic specifically addressed to the phpBB developers, right in the topic title as obvious as it could be. Not all topics are invitations to discussion and when the topic title and post content are clearly asking a specific question of a specific group it is nothing other than rude to hijack that topic by inserting yourself where you were not invited. Posing the question in the forum was my only option as I do not have permission to PM more than one recipient at a time and I believed the answer to the question would be of benefit to the community thus I trusted that courtesy and manners would prevail. This trust has proven to be extremely misplaced as just about every topic I have initiated has been unrepentantly hijacked by those whose main goal appears to be,from my perspective, to sabotage this entire process.

Lurttinen

Post by Lurttinen »

Bolverk, Code reader and jwxie.

Can you please calm down. This is not going so well for you three.
Please refrain from making useless posts and/or attacking users. This forum is not about who has merits or bigger whatnots, but phpBB4 development.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

It's kind of pointless to ask "the phpBB developers" when phpBB4 really is supposed to be a community project where everybody can participate

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

naderman wrote:It's kind of pointless to ask "the phpBB developers" when phpBB4 really is supposed to be a community project where everybody can participate
It's not pointless since ultimately it is the internal teams that will decide the overall direction the project takes. Community participation is fine but ultimately every project has to have a person or person(s) who make the final decisions. The concept of phpBB4 is not new, it has been kicking around for quite some time now and I asked a question that only the developers can answer. The individual responses to my question would have given me the answer I sought, so my question was not pointless to me. I generally don't waste other people's time with pointless questions, I would have thought you had learned that about me by now. My apologies for wasting your time.

code reader

Post by code reader »

bolverk wrote:I did not start a discussion, I posted a topic specifically addressed to the phpBB developers, right in the topic title as obvious as it could be.
we seem to run into each other here and there which is not exactly productive,
but i decided to address just this point:
in a discussion board like this one, creating a topic is starting a discussion.
you do not get to decide who can answer and who can't.
it is possible to use a discussion board system differently (e.g. in tech support boards), but here, opening a topic *is* starting a discussion.
when someone needs to ask a *particular* person a question they can use email, PM or the telephone system.
starting a discussion and then whining because someone you'd rather not hear from decided to answer is both bad form and unreasonable expectation which (almost) inevitably leads to disappointment.

peace.