Wysiwyg TinyMCE implementation

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
naderman
Consultant

Re: Wysiwyg TinyMCE implementation

Post by naderman »

bobtheman wrote:i'll create a wiki account tonight (if i have time) and add wysiwyg editor to the dev wiki... anyone else that has time please feel free.
You can log into the wiki with your phpbb.com account.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

naderman wrote:
bobtheman wrote:i'll create a wiki account tonight (if i have time) and add wysiwyg editor to the dev wiki... anyone else that has time please feel free.
Or more accurately you must login to the wiki with your phpbb.com account. :)
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

bobtheman

Post by bobtheman »

naderman wrote:
I have an account on the phpbb support forums, and here on area 51 but im still unable to login to the wiki... any idea?

alahamdan

Post by alahamdan »

ToonArmy wrote:At the end of the day we want to utilise code form other OSS projects when we can to reduce what we have to maintain. Simply rolling our own WYSIWYG editor is not a simple task and would take significant development time, but I believe it is something users would like to see and we should certainly investigate.
I would like to encourage such way of thinking, an important thing to mention here, im a phpbb forum admin, its an Arabic forum with thousands of members and a million posts.

Till now i feel sick till i edit and decorate a nice announcement, try to use the current bbcodes system with a right to left language and see what you will face! imagine what new users face.

PHPBB is a community system for many languages, we are suffering to make a well formatted topic. i wish this be taken into consideration, we don't want to create a space shuttle inside a topic we just need to use B I , Alignment, inserting images and links inside topics easily, at least the basics, i wish development team will do it in coming versions.

Note: this is my first post in area51 , i would like to ask the following please:

1- why its names area51 ? i feel there is something i don't understand here, maybe cultural? i mean the name is related to something?

2- where i can read more about version 4? whats new, when will be released, and if we can convert from 3.0 to 4.0? im worried about future!

Thanks.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

alahamdan wrote:1- why its names area51 ? i feel there is something i don't understand here, maybe cultural? i mean the name is related to something?

2- where i can read more about version 4? whats new, when will be released, and if we can convert from 3.0 to 4.0? im worried about future!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area51 As to why, I don't know.

4.0 is still in the planning stages, there is no release schedule, of course 3.0 will have an upgrade option to 4.0.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

EXreaction wrote:As to why, I don't know.
Note the description of the Area51 base:
Area51 Military Base wrote:The base's primary purpose is to support development and testing of experimental aircraft and weapons systems.
And the description of this board:
Area51 @ phpBB.com wrote:phpBB's testing ground of bleeding edge developmental code

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

True, it's probably the most well known testing/experimental military base in the US (or maybe anywhere).

rma-web

Post by rma-web »

Its also where all the aliens live.

JUST KIDDING

numediaweb

Post by numediaweb »

I add my voice to the implementation of a new WYSIWYG build from scratch.

look for example to the wordpress system and its WYSIWYG It is light (without extra stuff) and handy!

the curent phpBB editor is hard for board owners, so, I could imagine how it is hard for "normal newbie" users. I have a forum (forumcine.ma) run by phpBB software and the members keep asking me to switch to vb cause they can't post topics "easily", but I like the open-source community and will stick with it, hoping that someday a decent WYSIWYG will be available.

and yes the the current available WYSIWYG are not a good way to go.. something from scratch should be built!

thanx.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

As may have already been mentioned, the forseeable issue with any WYSIWYG editor is the custom BBCode implementation. Of course that would just be difficult, not impossible. I say yes to possibly a wysiwyg plugin created and supported by the phpBB Team, but I don't think I would ever see the need to use it myself. Maybe it's just because I'm a coder myself and I like to see the inner workings of things, such as typing BBCode and smilies manually.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.