headers already sent + other error messages

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.2/Rhea followed by 3.3.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.1. If you need support for phpBB 3.1 please visit the 3.1.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Post Reply
User avatar
Lurttinen
Registered User
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:57 am
Contact:

headers already sent + other error messages

Post by Lurttinen » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:05 pm

Well, errors :)

Headers already sent, corrupting a table, detect if user has forced incorrect url settings for cookies, etc...
Can we detect an error and try automated repairs for it?

For headers, parse through files and see if there is something that is not supposed to be. Corrupt / REPAIR and cookies check what the domain really is and not what the user thinks it is.

Something like that.
Fix (some) errors automagically. :)

User avatar
ToonArmy
Registered User
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:31 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: headers already sent + other error messages

Post by ToonArmy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:07 pm

What I'd like to see is links presented for solutions to error messages.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM
Image

User avatar
Lurttinen
Registered User
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:57 am
Contact:

Re: headers already sent + other error messages

Post by Lurttinen » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:17 pm

I believe our Support Team could narrow top ~10 common errors with solutions in phpBB3.

User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: headers already sent + other error messages

Post by EXreaction » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:21 pm

Check out some of the stuff we have setup to run automatically in the STK (repairing the styles and repairing the config.php file).

User avatar
jwxie
Registered User
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:38 am

Re: headers already sent + other error messages

Post by jwxie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:53 am

ToonArmy wrote:What I'd like to see is links presented for solutions to error messages.
I think you are referring to those Help files. I think it would be nice, espeically link to a wiki (but I hate connecting to Internet, well hahah).
:lol:

User avatar
ToonArmy
Registered User
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:31 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: headers already sent + other error messages

Post by ToonArmy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:19 am

jwxie wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:What I'd like to see is links presented for solutions to error messages.
I think you are referring to those Help files. I think it would be nice, espeically link to a wiki (but I hate connecting to Internet, well hahah).
:lol:
Huh?
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM
Image

bolverk
I've been banned
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: headers already sent + other error messages

Post by bolverk » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:24 pm

I have to agree with ToonArmy, I would rather see a robust ACP inline help or mini-FAQ available to the board admin rather than attempt to develop the application with enough of a level of AI to replace the experience and skill of a human being. If there was such a thing as a 1:1 ratio of common errors to root causes it might be possible however the very nature of many errors as having multiple potential root causes makes *automagically* very unlikely to be successful.

User avatar
jwxie
Registered User
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:38 am

Re: headers already sent + other error messages

Post by jwxie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:35 pm

ToonArmy wrote:
jwxie wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:What I'd like to see is links presented for solutions to error messages.
I think you are referring to those Help files. I think it would be nice, espeically link to a wiki (but I hate connecting to Internet, well hahah).
:lol:
Huh?
LOL You said you want to see links to error message - just like those help files. If your Live MSN is down, it usually tells you an error code - as soon as you click Yes or some button, it will direct you to a webpage where it explains what that error means and how to resolve it.

Our wiki should be use for this purpose too - as a help file.

Desdenova
Registered User
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: headers already sent + other error messages

Post by Desdenova » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:42 am

Lurttinen wrote:Well, errors :)

Headers already sent, corrupting a table, detect if user has forced incorrect url settings for cookies, etc...
Can we detect an error and try automated repairs for it?

For headers, parse through files and see if there is something that is not supposed to be. Corrupt / REPAIR and cookies check what the domain really is and not what the user thinks it is.

Something like that.
Fix (some) errors automagically. :)
While that is a nice idea, it is not something that should be done automatically due to the amount of server load it could generate. I'd rather see something like an ACP module for running diagnostics, you could toss in several checks within the module, have it perform a series of tests, and notify the user of the results at the end.

User avatar
ToonArmy
Registered User
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:31 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: headers already sent + other error messages

Post by ToonArmy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:01 am

Desdenova wrote:While that is a nice idea, it is not something that should be done automatically due to the amount of server load it could generate. I'd rather see something like an ACP module for running diagnostics, you could toss in several checks within the module, have it perform a series of tests, and notify the user of the results at the end.
Agreed especially as some repair operations could potentially do more harm.
jwxie wrote:LOL You said you want to see links to error message - just like those help files. If your Live MSN is down, it usually tells you an error code - as soon as you click Yes or some button, it will direct you to a webpage where it explains what that error means and how to resolve it.

Our wiki should be use for this purpose too - as a help file.
We've got the same idea here, just explaining/understanding it differently.
bolverk wrote:I have to agree with ToonArmy, I would rather see a robust ACP inline help or mini-FAQ available to the board admin rather than attempt to develop the application with enough of a level of AI to replace the experience and skill of a human being. If there was such a thing as a 1:1 ratio of common errors to root causes it might be possible however the very nature of many errors as having multiple potential root causes makes *automagically* very unlikely to be successful.
I was thinking taking the environment dependant strings out of PHP error message for example and using the remainder to look up a human friendly description of the problem, or some such. For example the headers not sent error message on line 1 of a file, you'd be able to read (somehow) that you've white space at the beginning of whichever file is causing the problem.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM
Image

Post Reply