MODS -> plugins/add-ons/extensions

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
bolverk
I've been banned

Re: MODS -> plugins/add-ons/extensions

Post by bolverk »

Eelke wrote:BTW, I suppose you are referring to what I said about Joomla? In fact, the difference is not as big as it might seem.
Yes, the fact that their naming scheme is all over the place with extension, component, module, plugin, when overall they are lumped together at the highest level as *extensions* that is all they should ever be referred to as.
Eelke wrote:Another point that I think would be nice to give some thought to up front is how the installation of extensions is handled (not sure if this should be a new topic).
That would be getting into functional (how as opposed to what) discussion so yes that should be a separate topic since the only reason I started this one was to identify the future terminology that should be used to refer to what are currently known as MOD's. The sooner the official terms are defined the sooner people can stop writing
Stilithius wrote:We need to figure out what kinds of modifications, plugins, addons or extensions we'll have
but you can keep going with your implementation discussion in this topic, there is no structure or organization to any of them anymore and I fell off the wagon yesterday so I don't care if my topic gets hijacked. ;)

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

In a way, you're still modifying the board in some functional way even if it's not by modifying code.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

If standard features make use of the same mechanism, that's an argument that will be hard to maintain... I think a generic term like "Module" or (not in the least to avoid confusion with MODificiation) "Component" would be best.

igorw

Post by igorw »

I don't see a big problem with keeping the term "MOD/Modification" for the very reason stated by DavidIQ. I also don't think changing it would be an issue, for that matter. Extensions, Plugins, Modules. It all sounds good to me, as long as it really reflects what the system is going to be like.
Eelke wrote:If standard features make use of the same mechanism, that's an argument that will be hard to maintain... I think a generic term like "Module" or (not in the least to avoid confusion with MODificiation) "Component" would be best.
I find it quite interesting that in some languages (French I believe) they actually translate "MODs" as "Modules". Now that's really confusing.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

I personally agree that the name should change if only for PR purposes.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

bobtheman

Post by bobtheman »

i agree, im not fond of the term mod .... and from my understanding it wouldn't be accurate to continue to use Modification

extension, extending the core install seems condescending as if you have to install the extensions to get functionality. I prefer the term plugin. After further discussion maybe a poll could help demonstrate what the community prefers as a whole.

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

bobtheman wrote:extension, extending the core install seems condescending as if you have to install the extensions to get functionality. I prefer the term plugin.
And yet projects that use the term plug in have to use the word *extend* to define it's meaning and context, yet another reason to simply by using a term that exemplifies the actual behavior, which is to *extend* the basic functionality beyond what is provided in a lightweight core. :lol:

bobtheman

Post by bobtheman »

i guess we are debating terminology ... which is fine... because we all seem to be in agreement with the proposal.

i think a poll would be a good idea

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

bolverk wrote:
bobtheman wrote:extension, extending the core install seems condescending as if you have to install the extensions to get functionality. I prefer the term plugin.
And yet projects that use the term plug in have to use the word *extend* to define it's meaning and context, yet another reason to simply by using a term that exemplifies the actual behavior, which is to *extend* the basic functionality beyond what is provided in a lightweight core. :lol:
I think the Firefox terms work well, add ons encompassing extensions and themes.
Last edited by ToonArmy on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix English fail
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

ToonArmy wrote: I think the Firefox terms work well, add ons encompassing extensions and themes.
I have always been just as disgusted with their schitzo naming conventions as with all the others that use multiple terms when one would suffice. Do not forget firefox plugins, which are *slightly* different from extensions...
Plugins help your browser perform specific functions like viewing special graphic formats or playing multimedia files. Plugins are slightly different from extensions, which modify or add to existing functionality.
When I have family and friends that call me regularly to ask what they should be looking for, a plugin or extension and why are they called addons if they are extensions....OMFG I could kill projects for overcomplicating terminology instead of folllowing KISS.