MODS -> plugins/add-ons/extensions

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Eelke

Re: MODS -> plugins/add-ons/extensions

Post by Eelke »

Considering that the idea is very much geared to getting rid of a technical distinction between standard (core) functionality and third-party functionality, I think a neutral term is required. Actually, such a neutral term is already in use; for the various control panels, phpBB speaks of "modules". Does it not make sense to extend this terminology to other areas as well? Of course there is the whole MODificiation/MODule confusion that exists even today, while "module" isn't a widely used term in the phpBB world, but apart from that, I think "module" is fine.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I really like the idea of just taking over Symfony 2's terminology of a "bundle". Cause that can really mean anything and is not widely used. It can contain "plugin" functionality or "module" functionality or "extension" functionality, ist just bundles it all ;-) On the other hand people are certainly more used to those other terms, not sure if that's really a problem.

code reader

Post by code reader »

(this is a question, not an argument):

if symphony2 uses "bundle", and if we'll go with this framework, can it create confusion between symphony2 "bundles" and phpbb4 bunldes?

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Yes that might be an issue. If phpBB plugins/extensions are actually regular Symfony 2 bundles with phpBB specific functionality, then I think it is a good idea. If however we introduce phpBB specific differences in structure/format of the plugins/extensions then we should also use a different name. I guess this can only finally be decided once we had time to try out Symfony bundles enough to determine whether they are sufficient for us.

number3nl

Post by number3nl »

I would really go for plugins. It descibes best what it is. It plugs into your software, to enable new features.

MOD reminds on the hacks of the past, we should leave those behind.
Bundles confuses me. And to no programmers it does not tell what it does... Does this bundle functions, theme's, widgets, what does it do for me?
Add-on could be done.... I add-on this feature. I just like plugin better.
Extensions you put in your hair. It does not appeal to me....

So for me plugin is best... it plugs in to the board, plug in architecture...