What is this forum for?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
naderman
Consultant

What is this forum for?

Post by naderman »

Starting with phpBB4 we want to try a much more open development process than phpBB used to have. The first step in this direction is opening up the planning process. We want to design a new architecture together with the phpBB community, you!

There are some initial ideas up on our wiki. You can find them here: http://wiki.phpbb.com/display/DEV/phpBB+4. Feel free to add stuff to the wiki. If there's something that requires discussion post it on here and we'll put the result of such a discussion on the wiki.

Discussion can also take place on IRC #phpbb-coding . Results / conclusions should obviously be documented here and / or in the wiki depending on where they belong ;-)

bolverk
I've been banned

Re: What is this forum for?

Post by bolverk »

Good luck with this, don't let the naysayers discourage you from making the effort. I was attempting to post a reply in the topic on the community board earlier but got kicked off the site and still cannot get the board to load. Hopefully my attempt to save a draft of my reply posted before I lost the connection. Guess I'll find out when I can get back in. :D

I did have a question about how you phrased the LDAP group synchronization feature requirement, should I post a separate topic or ask in this one? I'm thinking a separate topic would be more appropriate assuming more users participate or have questions of their own regarding the future LDAP integration. :)

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

bolverk wrote:I did have a question about how you phrased the LDAP group synchronization feature requirement, should I post a separate topic or ask in this one? I'm thinking a separate topic would be more appropriate assuming more users participate or have questions of their own regarding the future LDAP integration. :)
New topic :)
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

idiotnesia

Post by idiotnesia »

Glad to see this forum.
So the code name of phpBB 4 is rhea, right? Guys, you are flying from Mars to Saturn ;)
idiotnesia wuz here

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

idiotnesia wrote:So the code name of phpBB 4 is rhea, right? Guys, you are flying from Mars to Saturn ;)
Good grief I hope not...seriously the female Titan Rhea, mother of the gods, is a far better inspiration for the next version than an icy, crater scarred, airless lump of rock. :|

Phil

Post by Phil »

The code-name is indeed based on the moons of Saturn -- keeping in line with the planetary/space theme established by phpBB3's 'Olympus', which incidentally is also an "icy, crater scarred, airless lump of rock".
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

iWisdom wrote:The code-name is indeed based on the moons of Saturn <snipped>
Woohoo way to go, naming something after something that was already named after something else. :P Well, you can intend for it to *mean* whatever you want, but luckily it can also be interpreted however each of us chooses to. I choose to interpret it based on the original etymology of the term, which for me is the Titaness Rhea whose mythos is certainly worthy to aspire to. ;)
iWisdom wrote:keeping in line with the planetary/space theme established by phpBB3's 'Olympus',
Luckily I was no where near phpBB during the development of Olympus and only started using version 3 after .0.4 was released, so the codename for me had no other meaning when I heard it than it's original.
iWisdom wrote:which incidentally is also an "icy, crater scarred, airless lump of rock".
You have no idea of the irony in that relationship do you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lurttinen

Post by Lurttinen »

Rhea, i think i take this as "Reija" as in my friends wife.
She is not "icy, crater scarred, airless lump of rock" but actually a friendly, warm person. :)

jwxie

Post by jwxie »

lol should we continue the title discussion?

Hmm So here is my question which I want to focus a lot. You know (please pardon me), I am very into Google Wave recently, as I am looking into their APIs.

So, at the developer preview they hosted in the summer, the G.W. developers said something really important:

What if E-mail was never invented? What do we expect it to do?

So same question here - What if Forum was never invented? What do we expect it to do? How do we present our information?

This is something we should focus - the goal of phpBB? Another phpBB1, 2 and 3, just plain thread and discussion?

bobtheman

Post by bobtheman »

This is something we should focus - the goal of phpBB? Another phpBB1, 2 and 3, just plain thread and discussion?
Great question