[resolved] Hide forum from index but not from members!

Temporary forum to obtain support for MODs/Styles while phpbb.com is down
Phantasmagoric

[resolved] Hide forum from index but not from members!

Post by Phantasmagoric »

Is there a way to hide a category or forum from the index yet at the same time keep viewing permissions intact?

What I am trying to do is to remove my Skin support categories/forums from the index and provide a menu link to them, but I don't want to affect any of the viewing permissions for the categories/forums.
Last edited by Phantasmagoric on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A.K.A. Kirk Fitzgerald

Brf
Support Team
Support Team

Re: [Mod] Hide forum from index but not from members!

Post by Brf »

To hide a forum or category from the index, make it a child forum of another forum, and do not checkmark to show it on its parent's subforum list.

Phantasmagoric

Post by Phantasmagoric »

Hi Brf, I tried that but the category and sub-categories + sub-forums are still visible on the index.

the category/forum tree is like this:

.................................................................................Index
....................................................................................|
...................|....................|....................|.....................|....................|.....................| (** this category I wish to hide from index **)
...............(blah)...............(blah)...............(blah)...............(blah)...............(blah).....The phpBB3 Skin Zone (category)
................................................................................................................................|
............................................................................................................General phpBB3 Skin Discussion (forum)
................................................................................................................................|
........................................................................................|........................................................................|
........................................................... Bug Fixes, Skin Support Requests (category).................................New Skin Projects (category)
.........................................................................................|........................................................................|
....................................................................Global Skin Bug Fixes (forum)....................................New Skin Design Requests (forum)
....................................................................Skin Support Requests (forum)..................................Additional Graphic Requests (forum)

Could it be the tree structure that's at fault?
A.K.A. Kirk Fitzgerald

darcie
Community Team
Community Team

Post by darcie »

I would think you would want to set permissions on that category to read but not see it. So for the groups' forum permissions, set "Can see forum" = no, "Can read forum" = yes.

Brf
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Brf »

As I said.
Take the Category you wish to hide and make it a subforum of another forum... Set its parent.

Phantasmagoric

Post by Phantasmagoric »

Darcie wrote:I would think you would want to set permissions on that category to read but not see it. So for the groups' forum permissions, set "Can see forum" = no, "Can read forum" = yes.
That was the ideal solution Darcie, thank you for that, I appreciate it very much.

Brf wrote:As I said.
Take the Category you wish to hide and make it a subforum of another forum... Set its parent.
I know what you mean Brf, but the way I wanted to handle that category couldn't be dealt with that way, thanks for your help though.
A.K.A. Kirk Fitzgerald

Brf
Support Team
Support Team

Re: [resolved] Hide forum from index but not from members!

Post by Brf »

Why can't you handle it that way?
as a sub-forum, your category will not show on the index, but you can still link to it. Why can't you do it that way?

Brf
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Brf »

OIC. You accomplished the same thing with the permissions, but then the category is never visible.
There is actually no reason to set "read" to "Yes", since the category itself is never accessed directly.

Phantasmagoric

Post by Phantasmagoric »

I wanted ideally for the category to be visible to admin and global mods but not to guests and members on the index, also I wanted to keep that tree structure intact, I didn't want to have to add it all to another forum as a sub-forum structure to be able to remove the links from the index. By changing permissions as Darcie suggested allowed for the tree structure to remain intact, by moving it all into another forum as a sub-forum would have resulted in it all being too busy in that forum when people went in there, it's just tidier this way.
I'm a fussy old git you see :)
A.K.A. Kirk Fitzgerald

Brf
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Brf »

Yes. It is pretty simple if you never wanted regular users to see the category itself. I was under the impression that you wanted to link to the category, rather than its forums. If you just wanted to link to the forums, all you had to do was remove the Registered Users and Guest permissions from the category. There is no need to set the "Read" to "Yes".