changing banners

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
craigxa

changing banners

Post by craigxa »

I currently run and host forum version 3.0.RC7

could someone explain to me how to upload a header/banner to the forum? The forum currently has 2 pictures (left and right hand sides of header) this was done by a friend who set the forum up for me a few years ago....he has since gone M.I.A so im lost to how to change it.

Cheers,
Craig

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Re: changing banners

Post by Kevin Clark »

Your more immediate concern should be to update.

This will remove any MODs you have but it's the best way to do it.
Get a download of the full version of phpBB3.0.4
Upload everything except config.php and the images and files folders.
Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php
Let it run
Delete the install folder
You are now up to date.

If you have a 3rd party style you will need to look for a 3.0.4 version of that too.

The logo will depend on the style. It doesn't sound like a default one.

craigxa

Post by craigxa »

thanks for the reply :D

I probrably should have mentioned I dont have access details to the host (friend has these) so I cant do anything to the site in general until I get hold of him.(been trying for over a year :x )

I've looked through the update process several times...I'm not game to touch anything unless I accidently delete something.

I just tryed the link you recommended and got a 404 message

ERROR 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND
Oops! Looks like the page you're looking for was moved or never existed.
Make sure you typed the correct URL or followed a valid link.

edit I should have added, the current logo/header is a custom one already

Cheers,
Craig

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

Updating using the method suggested is virtually risk free. The main file not to overwrite is the config.php file. You have no issues with losing users or posts as they are in the database. The link I posted is only an example. You would need to upload some files and change yoursite.com to your own address.

craigxa

Post by craigxa »

I used my sites address in the link, but have just realised I didnt put in the forum folder as I dont know what its under or where it is :oops:
I've tried clicking on the link in the system window to do the update Now start the update process by pointing your browser to the install folder. and get the 404 error :?

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

The install folder is one you have to upload as part of the updating process. If you haven't put it on to the server you will get a 404 error. It can't find what isn't there.

craigxa

Post by craigxa »

I see what you mean now ;)

as I mentioned earlier, I have been trying to work out how to do all the updates and try and customize my forums. I'm no expert when it comes to these sort of things....hence getting someone to set it up for me initially.

It's got to the stage where my hands are tied unless someone with the knowledge explains to me how to do all that I need. I also have a delema where I cant get in contact with the person who set the forums and sites up....I dont even have the information to log in the site :( I have been let down big time.

It will get to the stage where I will have to use one of the many freeforum sites to be able to keep operating :(

thanks for your help :D