Visual Confirmation Works on Some Computers, not Others

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
pcollum

Visual Confirmation Works on Some Computers, not Others

Post by pcollum »

Hi guys. I'm expreiencing a similar problem as some others related to the Visual Confirmation not working - sort of. My problem is that the visual confirmation is not visible on some computers, but not all. I have checked my ACP and learned that CAPTCHA is enabled, and that I can see the visual confirmation in the preview. I am also able to see visual confirmation on my personal computer. But if I walk across the hall to someone else's computer, they can't see the CAPCTHA and only get the "red X".

After searching these boards and others I checked the PHP information page in the ACP to check my GD settings. But I don't appear to have any GD settings whatsoever. I'm not sure what GD is, but I don't see it anywhere on the page at all. (I can post the entire page if you like). I'm not sure if I need "GD" or not. (???)

Anyway, is there a local setting for IE or something (activeX, or something like that) that is needed to view the visual confirmation?

FYI our forums are located here. Thank you.

Eelke

Re: Visual Confirmation Works on Some Computers, not Others

Post by Eelke »

You are using the simple variant of the phpBB CAPTCHA. IIRC, you do not need GD for that. Chances are you just do not have GD library installed. BTW, the advanced CAPTCHA is much better. The one you are using is the same as the one which was in phpBB2, and it has been compromised a long time ago. It's better than nothing, but not by much. I would seriously look into getting another CAPTCHA on your board, either by getting GD installed so the more advanced CAPTCHA becomes an option, or by installing an anti-spam MOD.

The CAPTCHA image showing up as a red cross probably means that there was an error while the forum tried creating the image. As it appears to be dependant on the client computer, you may want to try and clear the browser's cookies. If that doesn't help, look into your server's error log to see if you can find any errors relating to the generation of the CAPTCHA. The error log may be accessible from your web host's admin panel (not the admin panel in phpBB, but the one that was provided to you by your host to administer your web space). If not, you will need to contact your host to find out how to get at the error log.

pcollum

Re: Visual Confirmation Works on Some Computers, not Others

Post by pcollum »

Thank you, Eelke. That makes sense. I'll see if I can figure out how to install a more robust CAPTCHA from these forums. I'll also check wih my host for errors related to CAPTCHA.

Thanks again!