Migrating from Snitz 3.4.05 to phpBB 3.0.4

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
nickh

Migrating from Snitz 3.4.05 to phpBB 3.0.4

Post by nickh »

Hi,

I've found plenty of posts for converting from Snitz 3.4.05 to phpBB 2.x but I can't find any for going straight to phpBB 3.0
Please can someone advise if there is a direct way of doing this?

I tried searching the main phpbb.com forum, but it is still down and I need to get the migration completed by wednesday so will have to do the long-winded method of snitz 3.4.05 -> phpBB 2.x -> phpBB 3.0.4 if not :(

Hopefully you can help!
Thanks
Nick

nickh

Re: Migrating from Snitz 3.4.05 to phpBB 3.0.4

Post by nickh »

Alternatively, can anyone point me in the direction of phpBB2.x software whilst the phpBB.com site is down - is there a mirror anywhere?

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

nickh wrote:Hi,

I've found plenty of posts for converting from Snitz 3.4.05 to phpBB 2.x but I can't find any for going straight to phpBB 3.0
Please can someone advise if there is a direct way of doing this?
I have not seen a direct Snitz -> phpBB3 convertor.

Here is the site for the Snitz -> phpBB2 convertor: http://snitz2phpbb.sourceforge.net/ (its a little old, but should still work)
A_Jelly_Doughnut

nickh

Post by nickh »

Thanks for the link. I was really after the phpBB 2.x forum software as I will need to setup the v2 forum, unless I've mis-understood the process?!

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

You can get version 2.0.23 at this link.

bsmither

Post by bsmither »

I did this last November. It's fairly straightforward. Do not think that you can skip any step or not set any setting as being unimportant. It's all important.

There is one incredibly important gotcha to look for...

If any of your Snitz members created a post that was copy/pasted from a Word document (and for the intended uses and target audience of my Forum, that's a very solid reality), the "Smart Quotes", or Curly Quotes - which are not standard ASCII characters - will cause problems in the topic table transfer.

When the transfer takes place, the content will be truncated at the special formatting character (curly quote - single and double, conditional hyphen, and non-breaking space are likely examples).

This problem *might* depend on the database you used for Snitz. I used MS Access which allowed these characters. If you use MS SQL Server or MySQL, then I don't know if this gotcha is going to hit you.