Deleting Messages

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
aquajoc

Deleting Messages

Post by aquajoc »

Hi

I am very new to PhpBB and just started a forum at Removed
As you could imagine I am getting allot fo SPAM.

My first question is very simple - where do I go to delete the SPAM messages. When I log into the admin account it does not seem to have anywhere that I can go to view and delete messages.

secondly, is there a way to better protect my site from the Spammers?

Thanks for your help!

Steve
Last edited by Brf on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link. Not neccessary for question.

Brf
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Deleting Messages

Post by Brf »

You delete messages when you are reading the forum, or from the Moderator Control Panel.
The Admin control panel is not concerned with posts.

Also, when you delete a user from the ACP Manage Users, you are given the option of deleting all of that user's posts.

For questions about spammers, refer to this topic: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=30531

aquajoc

Post by aquajoc »

Hi

Thanks for the quick response!

When logged in as admin and viewing the topics in the forum I did not see a way to delete the messages.

Also, I am not quite sure how to log into the moderator control panel. Could you explain how to go about doing that?

Thanks for your patience!

Steve

Brf
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Brf »

You would need Moderator permissions to use moderator functions.
The simplest way is to go to Permissions / Global Moderators and add permissions to the Adminsitrators usergroup.

aquajoc

Post by aquajoc »

Hi

Thanks for the help!

It did work once I gave Moderator access, however, I have another problem.

I cannot seem to find the admin and moderator control panel "on a regular basis"

What I mean is that the only time I seem to be able to see the link to access the Administration Control Panel is for about 3 seconds after I enter the admin login and scroll immediately to the bottom of the page. If I do not quickly click on the Administration Control Panel link the page immediately forwards to the forum and the link to access the Administration Control Panel is then gone until I login again.

Regarding the Access link to the Moderator Control Panel it seems I just flat got lucky and saw it at the top of the page once and clicked on it and was then able to clean up most of the spam messages. However, I cannot seem to locate the link to access the Moderator Control Panel anymore. Did the webdesigner do something wierd when programming the site or am I just blind?

Also, can you reccomend a PhpBB consultant that I could use. I would really like to get some professional help with this.

I really appreciate all the help you have given me

Thanks!

Steve

bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

Regarding the ACP disappearing, can you provide the link to your site again so we can look at the template code?

aquajoc

Post by aquajoc »

HI

Sure

It is http://www.fema.me

Thanks!

Steve

Brf
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Brf »

Hmmm.... It looks like you might have been doing something with your overall_footer. For instance, I see a PS3 copyright in your overall_footer that I am not seeing on your forum.

Try clearing your forum's /cache/ folder. Delete all of the files in that cache folder, except index.htm and .htaccess

aquajoc

Post by aquajoc »

HI

Is that something my webdesigner would need to do on the server or can the cache be cleared somewhere in the admin control panel?

Thanks!

Steve

Brf
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Brf »

Yes. You can click the bottom button on the front page of the Admin control panel, assuming you can get to it.