UTF-8 prob? I've lost my site...

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
IanSn

UTF-8 prob? I've lost my site...

Post by IanSn »

Posted earlier with a minor problem that needed a minor edit. All solved.

But when I returned to the site I noticed strange symbols where the '...' is supposed to be in the search... boxes.

I had just used the built-in file editor on my providers CP. Probably not a good idea. I wondered if it had saved the file differently... guessing.

But when I returned to my site again - nothing. White screen. I can't get on.
The site stats log is showing me hitting HTTP/1.1 200 5, but that's as far as it goes. The '5' here is the file size. It should be more like 19687. Same if I try to go direct to a topic or post.

Stumped.

I tried ftp-ing the edited file, making sure it was saved as UTF-8. Really guessing here, I'm out of my depth.
Prior to this I had also just added two moderators on the ACP. That couldn't have caused this?

Can anyone suggest my next step? :(

cheers,
Ian

IanSn

Re: UTF-8 prob? I've lost my site...

Post by IanSn »

This is part solved, now have this error message at top on page in browser -

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/common.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/common.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/common.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/common.php:1)

anyone help with this???

cheers,
Ian

COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

IanSn wrote:This is part solved, now have this error message at top on page in browser -

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/common.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/common.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/common.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /language/en/common.php:1)

anyone help with this???

cheers,
Ian
Well clear your /Cache folder by deleting all files except .htaccess and index.html
and than hit Ctrl+F5 to clear your Browsers than visit your site. :D
Long Live PhpBB!

ric323

Post by ric323 »

There is something at the start of /language/en/common.php that shouldn't be there.
The very first thing must be the "<?php"
If you edited with notepad, and saved as "UTF8", it will have placed a BOM (Byte Order Mark) there, which can cause this.

You can fix this by using a better text editor, like notepad++
See: Knowledge Base - Tools needed to set up and customise phpBB

IanSn

Post by IanSn »

Sounds like it. I did save as UTF-8.

The only reason I did that was because there was a note at the top of common.php about using UTF-8.
I usually use WordPad with no problems actually!

How can I get rid of the BOM now its there?

Thanks, I'll check the KB link.

btw. The original problem still remains - I've had to take out all the 'â&#8364;&#8482; » â&#8364;&#339; â&#8364;&#65533; â&#8364;¦' stuff from common.php as it was causing weird symbols in the browser. (It wasn't previously...??) And make sure the apostrophes are escaped! :roll:

cheers,
Ian

ric323

Post by ric323 »

It says "UTF8 without a BOM".
Notepad does not have this option, if you select UTF8, it always adds a BOM.
I would recommend starting again with a virgin file from the full install package, and using only notepad++ on it.

GTK

Post by GTK »

I Would advice you with using the open source program "Notepad++" where it has a built in function to convert to all characters, for example when i use to save the Arabic files in the regular notepad as uft-8 there will be some wired characters add during that process. using notepad++ (and its conversion tool helped solved that problem)

IanSn

Post by IanSn »

Yes, it does doesn't it.

That's just what I didn't want to hear!

Anyway, now have Notepad++, excellent.

Many thanks, I'd never have figured that out.

cheers,
Ian

IanSn

Post by IanSn »

Notepad++ is a wonder.
Converted to UTF-8 minus the BOM, uploaded... sweet. Problem over.

3.14am here in Blighty, I'm done.

Thanks guys, I'd have been lost.
Also downloaded GIMP while I was at it. Nice. :D

cheers,
Ian