Probably a noob question

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
oshx

Probably a noob question

Post by oshx » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:27 am

The following is the basic SRT
Your board's URL: http://oshx.l4rge.com/forums/
Version of phpBB3: Newest
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)?: Fresh install
If update, what package(s) did you use?: -
Did you use an automated wizard provided by your host to install phpBB?: No
MODs you have installed: None
When the problem started: Today
Your level of expertise (be honest): With php, none :(

darcie
Community Team
Community Team

Re: Probably a noob question

Post by darcie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:33 am

And the question/problem is...? :)

oshx

Post by oshx » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:36 am

Darcie wrote:And the question/problem is...? :)
Sorry bout that :). I didn't mean to submit.

Anyways, check the url in the OP... it automatically forwards to /forums/install/index.php which returns the error(s?) of:

Warning: require() [function.require]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(./../includes/functions.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/firewall:/tmp:.) in /home/l4rge/public_html/l4rge.com/o/s/h/oshx/forums/install/index.php on line 151

Warning: require(./../includes/functions.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in /home/l4rge/public_html/l4rge.com/o/s/h/oshx/forums/install/index.php on line 151

Warning: require() [function.require]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(./../includes/functions.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/firewall:/tmp:.) in /home/l4rge/public_html/l4rge.com/o/s/h/oshx/forums/install/index.php on line 151

Fatal error: Can't load ./../includes/functions.php, open_basedir restriction. in /home/l4rge/public_html/l4rge.com/o/s/h/oshx/forums/install/index.php on line 151

What am I doing wrong?

oshx

Post by oshx » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:46 am

I've read the sticky at the top (the documentation) containing the Install instructions. I've chmod'ded the appropriate files, but still to no avail :(. Any assistance would be appreciated, as I don't even know what those errors that I posted above mean! :?:

CTCNetwork

Post by CTCNetwork » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:51 am

Hi,

First off have you completed the install? If so, what is the install directory still doing there?

If you haven't complete the install then what program did you use to upload your phpBB3 files to your hosts computer?
Seems to me that maybe some of the files are corrupted..

Des. . . ;)
Density:- Not just a measurement~Its a whole way of Life.! ! !
Uninvited PM's are Deleted. Uninvited IM's - You get a warning - and get blocked. Capiche?

oshx

Post by oshx » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:55 am

CTCNetwork wrote:Hi,

First off have you completed the install? If so, what is the install directory still doing there?

If you haven't complete the install then what program did you use to upload your phpBB3 files to your hosts computer?
Seems to me that maybe some of the files are corrupted..

Des. . . ;)
No I have not completed the install (I haven't been able to). If I understood the install directions right, I have to navigate to /install/index.php, right?
So that'd make my installation file be located http://oshx.l4rge.com/forums/install/index.php . :(. http://oshx.l4rge.com/forums/ redirects to /install/index.php for some reason...

darcie
Community Team
Community Team

Post by darcie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:00 am

It should redirect like that, as the config.php file is empty because an install has not been performed yet.

It looks as though your host has "open_basedir restriction in effect." You probably will need to ask them to alter this for you, or how you can change it yourself.

oshx

Post by oshx » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:03 am

Well crap... All I wanted to do was to get familiar with phpbb before I bought a domain and paid for hosting lol. Do you know of any free hosts that have php support? and that don't have open_basedir restricted?

oshx

Post by oshx » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:05 am

This is a quote from their knowledge base.
I get an open_basedir error... -- Aug 15 2008, 3:05 AM
Open_basedir is a security setting that L4RGE uses to prevent people from gaining unauthorized access to other users files. A small percentage of legitimate scripts will not work with open_basedir, however there is no way that we can turn off the setting for any one individual user.

Try reconfiguring your script so it does not try to aquire files from a lower folder. An example is shown below:

* /
* /forums
* /forums/scripts
* /forums/scripts/images

In this example, scripts in the / folder will be able to access anything above it. The /forums folder can only access the folders above it, so /forums/xxxxxx. Finally, the /forums/scripts folder can only access itself and the images folder because it is above... It will not be allowed to access the /forums folder.

Try configuring your scripts so that they do not need to access any directories below themselves... An easy way to do this is placing all files within the same folder with the exceptions of images that can stay in an images folder.

If that didn't help you, we cannot do anything more. This is a security feature and it is permanent, which means no whitelists.
Would this work?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:14 am

short answer: no.

phpbb like just about every other web based program and like just about every single website in the world, depends on being able to access folders in a normal tree fashion.

just about any other host will not have this turned on.

to test phpbb without buying hosting space and domain name, simply sign up with one of the thousands of free phpbb hosts out there.
play around with what you can do in the admin panel etc.

then, when you get serious, buy a hosting account and a domain name and install it for real.
remember, you will not be able to take your test board with you to your own hosting account, so dont put too much effort into it.

robert