Speed

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Jay888

Speed

Post by Jay888 »

My site is SCFishingReport.com, and I am not a programmer (clearly). In the last few weeks my message boards have really slowed down, as my traffic has gone up. Is there somewhere on here with information about simple ways to speed up the forums? I looked around before I asked a question that I'm sure someone else has asked, but couldn't find anything and would appreciate any help. Thanks, Jay

Pit$Bull

Re: Speed

Post by Pit$Bull »

I hate to break the news to you but Godaddy's servers suck, you may want to consider a different host.
When phpBB.com support forum goes back online do a search on 'godaddy', to be honest most phpBB3 forums won't even run on Godaddy. :(
"A stitch in time, saves nine"

We're opening a can of whoopass on K9 CANCER.... One day at a time

Jay888

Post by Jay888 »

No, that's very good to know. So do you think it's more likely a problem with GoDaddy than with the way the message board is set up?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

well, your board seems quite fast to me.
you don't have enough members to be overloading the server.

and for all the problems that godaddy has, it seems to be running your board and site very well.

can you be more specific about what the problem is?

what do you mean by "slow" and exactly when does this happen.

according to your stats, you have never had more than 29 members online at once.

robert

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

nothing slow about your site Jay888 but then it could be the time I am looking.

one suggestion is you could create a new database and transfer over to it (sometimes shared servers can be consumed at certain times by one busy site). .. oh and most forums I know run on godaddy ;)

good luck on that one.

Pit$Bull

Post by Pit$Bull »

oddfish wrote:most forums I know run on godaddy ;)
I checked his site around 6:30 PM CST and it was slow as a slug :(
As I stated in my original post
Pit$Bull wrote:When phpBB.com support forum goes back online do a search on 'godaddy'
They have more complaints than any other host.

Jay888

Post by Jay888 »

Sorry, as pitbull said there are a lot of times when it is as slow as a slug or just refuses to load. For instance, yesterday at 11:00 AM EST it took about 45 seconds to get a forum page to load. Then there are other times when it is relatively fast - less than 2 second or so load time. Like this morning, so far.

Yesterday I spent a ton of time trying to decipher the various optimization guides on the internet and ended up enabling GZip Compression, which may have helped a bit going forward.

Burgertushie, my main site (not the forums) are hosted on a dedicated server with GoDaddy (I pay extra for that, I believe), and so I had thought my message board was, too. Not true?

Thank you all - I really appreciate your taking the time to help my little fishing site.

oddfish

Post by oddfish »

Pit$Bull wrote:
Pit$Bull wrote:When phpBB.com support forum goes back online do a search on 'godaddy'
They have more complaints than any other host.
I can google for any host and find issues - not my thing and personal experience over the past few years will suffice, thanks.

Jay888, I have frequently visited your domain over the last 12 hours and have not experienced any slow patches. You say you are on a dedicated server which means you are in control of it and it should be flying like a rocket with the stats your domain show. I'd seriously look at the logs, check for software updates and include something like xcache.

good luck

Pit$Bull

Post by Pit$Bull »

oddfish wrote:You say you are on a dedicated server
Read again, he stated the forum was not on a dedicated server just his main site.

oXo

Post by oXo »

Your site SCFishingReport.com is super fast loading in my screen! Probably that is your ISP and not your hosting server.