Registration form request with custom parameter

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
user9375

Registration form request with custom parameter

Post by user9375 »

We use phpbb v. 3.03 for support. On our web site we have user registration page where user can elect to register for support in which case user is redirected to the phpbb registration page and after agreeing to the Terms navigates to the registration form.

We would like to avoid users having entering email address on phpbb registration form twice, since it is already entered on our web site registration page. Is there any solution that allows to include email address into the request to phpbb registration page so it will appear on the registration form in the first email field?

Thanks for your help,

Vadim

bolverk
I've been banned

Re: Registration form request with custom parameter

Post by bolverk »

You might want to consider integrating the phpbb forum sessions into your existing website so users have a single login instead of having to re-register. I know it's not exactly what you asked but it seems like a better solution. Have a look at this article in the knowledgebase.

user9375

Post by user9375 »

I should’ve mention that our existing site and phpbb are on different platforms and hosted separately. The only way to communicate is HTTP message.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

user9375 wrote:I should’ve mention that our existing site and phpbb are on different platforms and hosted separately. The only way to communicate is HTTP message.
that makes it even harder to do. I am not sure how you would accomplish this.

robert

user9375

Post by user9375 »

Here is the approach that seemingly works. I only modified the user registration page on our web site and did not need to change phpbb.
Step 1: Added a hidden form:

Code: Select all

<form action="xxxxx/ucp.php?mode=register" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">	
	<input type="text" name="agreed" value="I agree to these terms" type="hidden">
	<input type="text" name="email" type="hidden" value=" ">
	<input type="submit" value="login" name="login" type="hidden">
where xxxxx is phpbb URL.

Step 2: Have users to agree to the Terms since this step will be skipped on phpbb end.

Step 3: Added javascript that is fired when user clicks on “Register for support”. It assigns already entered user’s email address to the form’s “email” field and submits the form.

This will navigate to phpbb registration form, and email address will be populated.

Vadim