Show category description in my forum

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
woolef

Show category description in my forum

Post by woolef »

I've written a description for my category on the settings page but I can't find it shown anywhere on the forum. I can see the forum descriptions fine, just not the cat descriptions. Can someone tell me how to show this description against the forum category please?

Cheers!
Wool
bolverk
I've been banned

Re: Show category description in my forum

Post by bolverk »

By default the prosilver template does not display a forum description if the forum is a category. You can modify the template to display this variable however. Instructions would depend on what style you are using and where exactly you want the description to appear. If you post back that information I can show you what to add where.
woolef

Post by woolef »

Thanks bolverk. I'd forgotten we weren't at the usual phpbb forum, that info is all in my sig, lol

I'm using prosilver and PHPBB3.0.4
bolverk
I've been banned

Post by bolverk »

Well you still didn't tell me where you wanted the description to appear so I'll just recommend you replace the category name with the category description by making the following change:

In ../styles/prosilver/template/forumlist_body.html find the following line of code:

Code: Select all

<dt><!-- IF forumrow.S_IS_CAT --><a href="{forumrow.U_VIEWFORUM}">{forumrow.FORUM_NAME}</a><!-- ELSE -->{L_FORUM}<!-- ENDIF --></dt>
Change

{forumrow.FORUM_NAME}
to

{forumrow.FORUM_DESC}
and the category description will now appear, see screenshot below:
cat_desc.jpg
cat_desc.jpg (9.5 KiB) Viewed 11945 times
woolef

Post by woolef »

Thanks again for your reply Bolverk.

I found this in viewforum_body.html;

<!-- NOTE: remove the style="display: none" when you want to have the forum description on the forum body -->
   <!-- IF FORUM_DESC --><span style="display: none">{FORUM_DESC}<br /></span><!-- ENDIF -->
Which I have done and seems to work very well without me having to delve too far into the workings :shock: