Can't access Admin Panel

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
worx

Can't access Admin Panel

Post by worx »

Using the Admin username/password, I cannot access the Admin Panel. New spammers are now joining and I cannot even delete their posts ("Sorry but you can only delete your own posts.") CheappOemSoftwware, just posted

Code: Select all

[url=http://sorenson.worx.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=4307&sid=f32e2f820ee425cc4827d2ef71d5f0e5#p4307]an ad[/url] 
for pirated AutoCAD 2008 software. :roll:

How can I reset my admin password and protect against this happening in the future? I'm using phpBB 3.0.x. Thanks.

Drakkim

Re: Can't access Admin Panel

Post by Drakkim »

worx wrote:Using the Admin username/password, I cannot access the Admin Panel.
Can you log in to the board with that username / pass? With phpBB3, you have to log into the board, THEN go to the admin panel... If log in to the board works, but log in to admin panel doesn't the I think there's something broken...

If you log in with the admin account and don't have the Admin Panel link, you can try to add "/adm/" to the address (ex http://yoursite.com/forum/index.php?.... becomes "http://yoursite.com/forum/adm/" If you get a message that yoou don't have permission, then for whatever reason, that's not an admin account...
worx wrote:How can I reset my admin password and protect against this happening in the future? I'm using phpBB 3.0.x. Thanks.
If you are comfortable with the database and have direct access to it (phpMyAdmin, for example) you can create a new account, go into the database and copy the new password to the admin account.

Good luck, and let me know if it works :-)

-Drakkim

worx

Post by worx »

Thanks for your helpful post.

I can login to the forum without problem. The Administration Control Panel link does appear at the bottom of all forum screens (for me, but not for other users). Wether clicking that link or explicitly inserting the "adm" folder name in the web address, the following message is displayed,
To administer the board you must re-authenticate yourself.
Using my same password (which has worked just fine since the last time that I explicitly changed it), I'm not allowed access. After three times (using my last three passwords), the following message is displayed,
You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to enter the confirm code from the image you see below.
Username: [__________]
Password: [__________]
Confirmation code: [X]
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive, there is no zero.
The confirmation code graphic is not visible. Also note that I clearly don't have whatever unique password is required to gain access to the ACP.

While I have direct access to the database (and could create another user/password), I'm not comfortable enough to dig through and replace password text. Thanks.

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

In phpmyadmin, run the following, which will create an admin user named admin1 with a password of admin. From that point you should be able to get into the ACP. Change your table prefix if it is not phpbb_.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_type, group_id, username, username_clean, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_lang, user_style, user_rank, user_colour, user_posts, user_permissions, user_ip, user_birthday, user_lastpage, user_last_confirm_key, user_post_sortby_type, user_post_sortby_dir, user_topic_sortby_type, user_topic_sortby_dir, user_avatar, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_from, user_icq, user_aim, user_yim, user_msnm, user_jabber, user_website, user_occ, user_interests, user_actkey, user_newpasswd) VALUES (3, 5, 'Admin1', 'admin1', 0, '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', 'admin@yourdomain.com', 'en', 1, 1, 'AA0000', 1, '', '', '', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '');
Then you can confirm the password on your own admin account and remove the one you just created.

worx

Post by worx »

Thanks for that, Kevin. I've searched for phpmyadmin.php, but can't find it. Should it not be below /public_html/forum/?

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

Not phpmyadmin.php. Just Phpmyadmin.
It's the database manager that should be in your overall site control panel.
If you can't find it, ask your hosts how to get to it as not all hosting works the same.

JimA
Former Team Member

Post by JimA »

No, phpMyAdmin is not a file, it's a program to manage databases. You usually can find it in the cPanel of your host.

Edit: Kevin was faster.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Moderator Team Member
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

No support here on Area51, please visit the Support forums over at phpBB.com

worx

Post by worx »

I found phpmyadmin [at cpanel > mySQL > phpmyadmin link (at the bottom of the page)]. Clicking it shows me reference to two forums (databases?)
  • dbname
    _forum1(28)
    _forum2 (30)
That makes sense to me, since it's a small family forum of only a few members (28-30) ... and there have been two sequential forums, one at family-name.website.com/forum1 (older, and no longer used) and the other (current) at family-name.website.com/forum2. If, however, I jump into the phpbb_users for each, I see the SAME list (both of which match the older forum). How do I make sure that I'm addressing the correct/later database and it's user list? Clearly, I don't want to make changes to the wrong one.

Additionally, I have access to tables of data. I see no place for text/code insertion recommended above.

Thanks

worx

Post by worx »

Hell, I can't even login to the forum now. Why would I NOT be able to see the confirmation code graphic?

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn »

Same thing happened to me. I could not log-in to the ACP. I could get into the forum, but not acp. Hours later I was able to login and I changed passwords. I am still getting bombarded with spam ALL OF THE SUDDEN this week. I have done everything...blacklist ip's, ban ips, admin approval of registration. Nothing helps.