SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
ChrisRLG

Re: SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Post by ChrisRLG »

ClabbeW wrote:.............
OK - I use the 'black pearl' style, but as these would be 'custom profile fields' (one dropdown box + one numbers choice) in the phpBB original setup, I expect that wouldn't be a problem no matter which style you my use ?! Right ?!
Do I have to "activate" these changes some way - because through the instructions you can't tell ?? In them it seems you're done after you've saved your changes...

Please advise - thanks !!
Change your default style back to prosilver - check what you get then on the regsitration page.

If it is available - they you have a style issue as they do not seem to have taken that into account.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

CTCNetwork wrote:Not for me, as I currently have admin activation set to on. But even accounts that I have activated never a login or visit.

However, a useful tool may be the Stop Forum Spam site and its database of known spammers:
Stop Forum Spam..
You need to register to get an API but you can then submit your forums spammer details to the database.

Worth considering, perhaps.
I have regs set to user, so they need to receive an activation email as you know (admin activation requires too much effort for me).
Also I have set the post count to 3 in order to avoid the approval queue (spambots usually do not post, you teach and I agree, though).

Even if the spambot just fills the profile and get listed in the memberlist, all of your users will be able to read the SPAM through the profile, the one I got today which I de-activated have a profile that contains SPAM all over that form.

I'm aware of that site you linked but I prefer not to have many cross-board reference links (also to avoid slow thingies in case).

Regards.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

COD3M4ST3R-X

Re: SPAM registrations after upgrading to 3.0.4

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

trixom wrote:Hello,

I have installed the MOD, but I am still getting SPAM registrations. I followed the instructions but it does not look like
it works (I copied all the files and ran the install .php, I can see the .MOD tab with the settings). I have also tried
registering myself with known SPAM usernames and e-mail addresses and they all get through.

Further more I have lowered the fuzzieness of the CAPTCHA but again this is no help. I can hardly read the CAPTCHA
and I find it hard to believe a BOT could get through...

Regards,

T.
BOTs such are Google[Bot],Yahoo[Bot]etc are not spambots.They are used by Search engines etc to Update their Database,as far as i know.
They cannot spam the Board as they only have read-only access. :mrgreen:
Long Live PhpBB!

ClabbeW

Post by ClabbeW »

ChrisRLG wrote:
ClabbeW wrote:.............
OK - I use the 'black pearl' style, but as these would be 'custom profile fields' (one dropdown box + one numbers choice) in the phpBB original setup, I expect that wouldn't be a problem no matter which style you my use ?! Right ?!
Do I have to "activate" these changes some way - because through the instructions you can't tell ?? In them it seems you're done after you've saved your changes...

Please advise - thanks !!
Change your default style back to prosilver - check what you get then on the regsitration page.

If it is available - they you have a style issue as they do not seem to have taken that into account.

Sadly this didn't make any change... I changed to prosilver, but still the registration page looked the same - i.e. without the added 'custom profile fields' ! :cry:
Any other ideas why this doesn't seem to wanna kick in ??

THANKS !!

COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

ClabbeW wrote:
Sadly this didn't make any change... I changed to prosilver, but still the registration page looked the same - i.e. without the added 'custom profile fields' ! :cry:
Any other ideas why this doesn't seem to wanna kick in ??

THANKS !!
Have u selected the following Options when setting up Custom Profile Fields in ACP?
Image :D
Long Live PhpBB!

ric323

Post by ric323 »

Also check under "Load settings", "Custom profile fields":
"Allow styles to display custom profile fields in memberlist:"
"Display custom profile fields in user profiles: ", and
"Display custom profile fields on topic pages: "

ClabbeW

Post by ClabbeW »

COD3M4ST3R-X wrote: Have u selected the following Options when setting up Custom Profile Fields in ACP?
Image :D
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Stupid me... I guess i was more focused on how things were pictured in the Knowledge Base page - than reading the text of each alternative... Sorry !!
BUT - HUGE THANKS !!

ChrisRLG

Post by ChrisRLG »

First post is updated.

dicks

Post by dicks »

Does the AntiBotQuestion also work for guest postings only? We need a selector to apply this either to registrations and/or guest postings.

Brammers

Post by Brammers »

Hi all,

I've checked the ACP on my forum this morning, and I've found 7 inactive users registered, all with usernames that look like Spambots. I've just check again, and that has increased to 10.

The number of registrations isn't in line with the normal pattern for the board either. (It's noramlly like 1 or 2 a week.)

I do have CAPTCHA enabled, but the noise settings are low to allow users to be able to read it. I did increase the background noise settings, but that's not made a difference (3 more spambots have registered since the change)

I guess it was a matter of time before the phpBB3 CAPTCHA got beaten.
Brammers
---
The Prophecy Network - Black Prophecy Fansite
Tech Haven Network - Neocron 2 Fansite