SPAMBOTS - how can we stop them - read FIRST post.

Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
Forum rules
Temporary forum to obtain support while phpBB.com is offline.
Please use the support forum on phpBB.com
COD3M4ST3R-X

Re: SPAM registrations after upgrading to 3.0.4

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

pietpetoors wrote:
Admin panel
post settings
Enable queued posts:
Not in my control panel.
If I go to post settings I only get the following options:
* Private message settings
* Topic icons
* Smilies
* Word censoring
Attachments
* Attachment settings
* Manage extensions
* Manage extension groups
* Orphaned attachments
Actually you are to look for them in the ACP>>General Tab>>Board Configuration>>Post Settings
its the first option under Posting
Long Live PhpBB!

baxterdown

Post by baxterdown »

COD3M4ST3R-X wrote: Well theirs a validated MOD ACP Add user by Highway Of Life.You can download it from his homepage.

It looks like that's exactly what I'm looking for, but there are no install instructions. His directions say "Easy Installation: One file to edit, copy 4 files" and that's it. I'm a newbee and not a programmer so I'm lost :(

Which file do I edit and what do I edit?
Which files do I copy and where do I put them? (btw, there are more than 4 files in his ZIP folder)

COD3M4ST3R-X, if you can offer any help or direct me to install instructions I would really appreciate it! :)

COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

Well i just saw that version is outdated.Use this instead it requires no edits at all.
Modified ACP Add User MOD
The install instructions are in install.xml :D
Long Live PhpBB!

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

pietpetoors wrote:
Admin panel
post settings
Enable queued posts:
Not in my control panel.
That's the posting tab, not post settings.

Admin panel
Half way down the menu on the left
post settings.

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanx COD3M4ST3R-X got it now

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I find it interesting that 98% of the latest spammers used gmail accounts.
Normally it is emails ending with .ru but these ones were just about all of them gmail accounts.

Severus Snape

Post by Severus Snape »

COD3M4ST3R-X wrote:Well try this modification for a chance Automatic Spammer Detection This MOD uses Stop Forums Spam to check username, email and IP for potential spammer. If anything is returned, all the founders receive a PM notify them about the user.
Hope this helps :D
I downloaded this and tried it on my test server, though I can't tell if it is working (I'm not sure how to get my local forum running on MAMP to send me emails). Two questions:

1) Does the mod use the latest Stop Forum Spam data and does it keep that data updated automatically?

2) How do you install it? I followed the instructions in install.xml, but it doesn't mention whether to use the modx.prosilver.en.xsl file. Also, it doesn't say to run spammer_install.php. I hesitate to try this on my live site with so much confusion on my part.

Thanks!

I've noticed a lot of the recent spammers are using Gmail as well. Anyone know why there is this spam increase all of a sudden? Is it related to the phpBB site going down?

COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

Severus Snape wrote:
COD3M4ST3R-X wrote:Well try this modification for a chance Automatic Spammer Detection This MOD uses Stop Forums Spam to check username, email and IP for potential spammer. If anything is returned, all the founders receive a PM notify them about the user.
Hope this helps :D
I downloaded this and tried it on my test server, though I can't tell if it is working (I'm not sure how to get my local forum running on MAMP to send me emails). Two questions:

1) Does the mod use the latest Stop Forum Spam data and does it keep that data updated automatically?

2) How do you install it? I followed the instructions in install.xml, but it doesn't mention whether to use the modx.prosilver.en.xsl file. Also, it doesn't say to run spammer_install.php. I hesitate to try this on my live site with so much confusion on my part.

Thanks!
1.yes
2.You have to run spammer_install.php and it has worked for a lot users.
Long Live PhpBB!

stevation

Post by stevation »

I'm using 3.0.0, and I just started getting a bunch of spam in the past week. The admin panels don't seem to be very handy in deleting bad users -- it seems I'd have to go through them one by one, deleting each, or I can prune all who registered in the past five days or so (which I did, since my forum isn't very active, but if it was very active, I would have pruned some legitimate users).

Anyway, it looks like 3.0.0 doesn't have the option to queue posts by new users like was described above. Am I correct in that? I don't have time to upgrade this thing when hardly anyone is using it, but I don't want to take it down, either, since it's for a national organization I'm helping as a volunteer.

Lacking any other idea, I set it to require administrator approval for new users. We'll see if that's workable, but it'll probably be annoying. Any other ideas?

marcusbacus

Post by marcusbacus »

Besides most spammers using GMail, a lot of them are using IPs from Germany, at least in my case. I had virtually zero spammers until a week ago, with a forum that is up for over a year - just using the captcha and nothing else. Today I got a probable spammer registration using an IP from my country (Brazil) which makes it impossible to ban entire countries.

As some said could it have anything to do with the phpbb.com attacks? I also found that this new captcha was already broken too.